1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hi- '76' P Bass I think? Help....

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Miggy Green, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Miggy Green

Miggy Green

Hi, i am a new member here and have been reading some threads on 76 p basses...I think I have one, I bought it used in a shop for about $900 in 1993-ish and have played many gigs with it.

It does have serial numbers on it, at the base of the neck on the body, I have tried looking up Fenders site but it's hard to work out...the numbers read as follows...708833, I thought it was 76 but the number doesn't have that date on it????? :rollno:

I'm not looking to sell but am interested in any information that might help. It's really heavy and has a great tone... thanks ;)

2. speediejohn

speediejohn

I have a 72 & a 74. Both have the serial numbers on the chrome neck plate.

3. Red Mulch

Red Mulch

Hey there,

I have a '76 P-bass. If the serial number on the headstock is visible, the first two numbers should be 76. From what I was told by my repairman, all seventies P-basses have a headstock serial that begins with an 'S', with the exception of 1976, when they used the two digits. My brother has a '78, and the headstock serial begins "S8------".

I'm going off of what I've been told...maybe another TBF has more definitive info. If the headstock decal is not visible, then I'm at sea on this one.

I sure love my '76. Sounds like you love yours, too!