1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hi- '76' P Bass I think? Help....

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Miggy Green, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Miggy Green

Miggy Green

Hi, i am a new member here and have been reading some threads on 76 p basses...I think I have one, I bought it used in a shop for about $900 in 1993-ish and have played many gigs with it.

It does have serial numbers on it, at the base of the neck on the body, I have tried looking up Fenders site but it's hard to work out...the numbers read as follows...708833, I thought it was 76 but the number doesn't have that date on it????? :rollno:

I'm not looking to sell but am interested in any information that might help. It's really heavy and has a great tone... thanks ;)
  2. speediejohn

speediejohn

I have a 72 & a 74. Both have the serial numbers on the chrome neck plate.
  3. Red Mulch

Red Mulch

Hey there,

I have a '76 P-bass. If the serial number on the headstock is visible, the first two numbers should be 76. From what I was told by my repairman, all seventies P-basses have a headstock serial that begins with an 'S', with the exception of 1976, when they used the two digits. My brother has a '78, and the headstock serial begins "S8------".

I'm going off of what I've been told...maybe another TBF has more definitive info. If the headstock decal is not visible, then I'm at sea on this one.

I sure love my '76. Sounds like you love yours, too!