Hi Beams on a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike M., Dec 11, 2013.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Wow.....it's amazing what you find when you finally clean out a closet!! Found a new set of Hi Beams mixed in with a bunch of old strings today! I don't even remember when I bought this set or for which bass I was going to try them on!

So, seeing how my Jazz bass is long overdue for a string change I'm going to install them tonight. I currentley have a set of Sunbeams on and they're quite dead.

Seeing how Sunbeams and Hi Beams have a round core I would imagine the tension should be pretty equal. I've never tried Hi Beams before so I'm wondering who uses them on a Jazz bass and what's your impression?

My bass is a 2009 American Standard.

2. bskts247

bskts247

I always string my jazz bass (2010 american standard) with Hi Beams. Sometimes i'll try new strings but i seem to keep going back to the Hi Beams. They're great strings.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I prefer Sunbeams on just about any Jazz.

Hi Beams were a little zingy for me at the expense of low mids.

On a positive note, you should be able to cut someone's head off soloing the bridge pick up ! :D

Seriously, give them a go. The only way to find out if you like them is to take them for a spin.

4. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I really like Sunbeams on my jazz bass too. But I've found that once the Hi Beams break in and lose that top end zing, they stay tonally consistent for a very long time. Months and months in fact.

So Hi Beams end up lasting a lot longer with usable tone than Sunbeams which become too dead a little too fast in my experience.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Just put them on my 62 AVRI and I love them. Very bright. If you like the Geddy type of tone they are the way to go.

7. Mike M.

Mike M.

Cool! I'm gonna give 'em a go.

I had the same thing happen with the Sunbeams in that they died real quick on me. I mean, I was very surprised how fast they went.

I like my bass to sound like a bass (if that makes sense) with some high end clarity, but not over the top. Sounds like once they break in that they should have a nice sound to them. Besides, I usually roll the bridge pickup off a little bit to give it a bit more grunt. We'll see how it goes.

8. marko138

marko138

I have them on my Jazz at the recommendation of the bass player in my band. He uses them on his and it sounds tremendous.

9. GK Growl

GK Growl

I think you will dislike Hi Beams based on your preferred tone. Hi Beams are some of the brightest, clearest sounding strings on the market IMHO.

10. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

^ Hi Beams are definitely some of the brightest strings out there for sure. But even stainless rounds will mellow out.

Check out Ed Friedland playing his P bass with old LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels (another very bright string out of the package).

11. Mike M.

Mike M.

Well, I installed the Hi Beams....and I like them! Very punchy and very even. Yes, on thier own they are bright. But when plugged in, this bass in particular seems to be on the darker side. So when I plugged it into my amp (GK MB115) it all evened out very nice. Offhand I think they're going to work out rather well, but time will tell. The tension seems to be just a tad more than the Sunbeams were (more so on the D and G strings) but not overly so.

It's amazing how "one size does not fit all." I also have a mutt of a '73 Jazz bass and it needs darker sounding strings because when plugged in, that bass is definatley on the brighter side.

Thanks for your combined help and opinions.

12. SteveC

SteveC

All I use are Hi Beams. They are a little "zingy" at first, but they really sound good after they "break in" a little bit and last a long time.