Hi-fi acoustic systems instead of bass combo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AndrewsBase, Feb 12, 2014.

1. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Hi All,

I would like to restore my bass practice.
    Since I would like to use some Logic X effects as well as backing tracks I wondered.. is it possible to use hi-fi acoustic systems (in my case big vintage JBLs) instead bass combo?

- Warwick corvette - sound card - Logic X - Technics Amp - JBL

Is it stupid idea?

Any thoughts?
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

This Bose system will work.

[​IMG]
  3. DogBone

DogBone

Not stupid at all.

Many professional bassists "run through the PA", using only a DI, and/or a preamp, and/or effects to get their tone.

Scaling this same idea down to whatever volume level/venue size you need would work just as well.
  4. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

I would think latency might be an issue. When you record with your DAW, are you monitoring through the DAW or are you monitoring via hardware? Typically, when you record, you would be listening to your bass via hardware (before the DAW) and the DAW would playing the existing tracks with a compensation for the latency. In my limited experience only . . . .
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

I have not had latency issues with my keyboards and Mac. Will see..

DogBone, thank you!
  7. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

OK. Maybe you'll be OK. You would be doing a A/D conversion (bass into the DAW through the interface), signal processing in the digital space, then D/A to get out to the hifi system. That takes some time. Let me know if it works for you. I've halfheartedly tried to make this work but haven't really spent time tuning my set-up to minimize latency.
  8. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Are you on Mac or Win? I had latency problems on win pc...
  9. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

Windows and Linux
  10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

That's pretty much what I do in my home studio. My little Drome combo has a line out, but for practice and recording purposes, I find it simpler (and less cluttered) to run a direct box into my A/D, and the DAW D/A output into hifi near field monitors and subwoofer. Or just headphones. I spend more time practicing through that setup than I do rehearsing and gigging through my "real" rig. One thing you might want to look into is a software plugin for amp emulation. Depending on the material, I may run clean on the DAW channel, or maybe with a little compression and/or delay effect, but Amplitube's SVX virtual SVT *nails* the Ampeg sound, and NI's Guitar Rig, which is basically for guitarists and has pretty "meh" bass amp models, has some virtual effects which sound awesome on bass tracks.

Oh, yeah, one other thing. Unless your sound card has a hi-Z (instrument) input, in addition to the usual mic/line inputs, you're going to want to get some form of DI box or bass pre-amp, particularly if you play a passive bass. Yes, you can get signal through a standard line input from a bass, but in my experience it doesn't sound very good.
  11. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Thanks for your info
    I am going to use Tri-Logic preamp and Source Audio FX....
  12. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I'm another home studio guy. Plug in and play. And listen to any songs I'm learning. If I'm upstairs, I often plug directly into a PC and listen through the desk speakers. Or I sit in the dining room listening to my laptop and playing unplugged. Guess I like variety!