Hi-Flyer players! Need some opinions: Eastwood + Univox

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hey all,

So, after some intense love and care, my '77 Phase 4 Univox Hi-Flyer is back in amazing working order!

I like it so much, that i'm thinking of a companion-bass... and i'm thinking about an Eastwood.

My other favorite bass has completely taken me off guard... it's an SX short scale jaguar with a J/J setup. I was hoping that an Eastwood Hi-Flyer player could chime in and give an opinion on how "jazz bass-y" an Eastwood Hi-Flyer can get.

The single-coils already have my interest piqued. If they can get zingy and growly and bright like a jazz... it'll be the perfect companion to the vintage thumpyness of the H/H Univox.

Thanks!
    :bassist:

2. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have never owned a Hi-Flyer but I lusted after one for a LONG time so I ended up playing one many many many times at a dealer here. I like it a lot but the finish is not superb, acceptable, but not amazing.

Have you seen the new More mosrite-ish one they have right now? 32 inch medium scale:

http://www.myrareguitars.com/eastwood-introduces-new-32-scale-bass-sidejack-bass-32

I think that one is a REAL winner.

3. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Oh man... and it's RED!

[​IMG]

That might be a new top contender....

4. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Aw... just noticed it's a limited 12 run :scowl:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Honestly, their Sidejack series, even if not their top of the line Airline stuff, is miles ahead of the Hi-Flyer in terms of quality.

And, the P90s they make, on the Hi-Flyer I have tried at least, are so MASSIVE! You have to hear them to believe.

7. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

My friend owns one and I've used it in a few rehearsals. The tone is nothing like a jazz bass to me. To me its more like a pbass with more upper mids. This particular bass was refinished and fitted with hipshot tuners and bridge and is a joy to play. If you want to hear it in a recording check my friends band franny and Zoey second record and you should get an idea of what you can expect. http://frannyzooey.bandcamp.com/album/bananafish

8. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Thanks! This helps out a lot.

The band's really sweet, and actually pretty similar in styles to my own. http://ghosthotel.bandcamp.com/ (recorded with the shortscale SX)

Also, i love the JD Salinger references! I totally wrote a song in high school called, "A Nice Day for Bananafish".