1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hi-Gain, Lo-Gain?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dukeandrews, Mar 17, 2014.

1. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

I just picked up a 1970s Ampeg B-110 120 w 8ohms and it has a "Hi Gain" input and "Lo Gain" input. What is the difference? I have noticed the lo gain is warmer and louder. Can I do damage to the speaker by playing my passive P bassin the lo gain input? There is also a three way switch at the top of the control panel that says "300 hz 800 hz 3000hz" What does this mean? There is also a two way switch next to that that says "Ultra Hi." I'm not sure what that means either. I cannot find much info about this amp online. I guess it was not very popular. It is pretty big for a combo amp. Thanks for any help!:)

2. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Guessing the hi gain would be for active basses & will cut maybe 12db from the signal. I switch between active & passive in a set & being able to plug the active into a padded input helps to make the switch easier with a minimum of volume adjustments. It won't hurt the speaker for you to play a passive bass through the lo gain input.

3. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

The ultra high will boost higher frequencies.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The B110 wasn't as popular as their tube amps so there's not as much about it around. But the hi gain/lo gain thing is pretty much what bachlover said, an early version of active and passive inputs. And you can plug any bass into either input..choose the one that has the sound you like best.

The "300 hz 800 hz 3000hz" is the first part of the famous Ampeg mid control. You select the frequency center that you like best and use the mid knob to adjust it. Turn the mid knob up and down all the way at the different frequencies to hear what it does then decide which you like best. I prefer 800hz but used to use 3000hz a lot when I was a kid.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

Thank you gentlemen. Now to just find that rattle...