hi! i need some help with pickups and electronics.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pimpelipompeli, Jan 12, 2014.

1. pimpelipompeli

pimpelipompeli

first i must say i'm sorry for my bad english..and now to the problem..luthier make me a new bass and i dont't know wath picups and electronics i choose..there will be mm and precision picups and i want active and passive electronics..i've read at nordstrand mm picups are fine? i want vintage precision sound...there is too much possibilities...help me please :)

2. pimpelipompeli

pimpelipompeli

in my other bass have aguilar opb-3 electronics, i like the sound, but i'm not sure can you make opb-3 active and passive..my other bass (warwick) is now active only.

3. delta7fred

delta7fred

Hi and welcome to talkbass.

I cannot help you with your pickup choice but I will say that your English is way better than my use of your native language.

If you fill in your profile then other members will see that English is not your first language.

Good luck in your pickup and electronics search.

4. line6man

line6man

ANY preamp can be bypassed.

Some preamps have multiple inputs or PCB-mount pots, which make bypassing a bit more difficult, as the switching becomes more complex, but this is rather rare. Like most preamps, the OBP-3 has just a single input and output, so switching is done in the standard way. You will need a DPDT On/On switch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ncapone

ncapone

If you want vintage Precision bass tone, go with a Precision bass pickup. The StingRay pickup just isn't quite the same. Or, if you're feeling crazy, go with two jazz pickups with a series/parallel switch.

7. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass, and don't worry about your English, it's perfectly clear what you want. ;)

You said you want a Precision and a MusicMan pickup. I never used Nordstrand pickups, but everyone says their models are very good so you'll probably make a good choice if you buy their NP4 and MM4.2 pickups.

Now, those two pickups have different impedances, so if you wire them together to a blend passively (using just a blend pot), you won't have a smooth way of blending them. You said you wanted a vintage Precision sound - that can be done. Do you also want the whole bass to be able to produce a classic MM/Stingray sound? I'm asking so I can add the MusicMan preamp to the diagram if you do.

I'll try to make an appropriate wiring by the end of the day.

8. pimpelipompeli

pimpelipompeli

i want all pickups can be use both active and passive..and when i put nordstrand mm pickup, it doesn't mean at i must put nordstrand precision pickups..but if nordstrand make a good vintage sounding precision pickups it's ok.

and thanks everybody for comments :)

9. pimpelipompeli

pimpelipompeli

stealh or someone, i read about pickups and find out, at delano can be my choise of precision picups..but how about impedances are they same with nordstrand?