1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hi - New Here - Need Advise on Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slowburn, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Slowburn

Slowburn

Hi ,

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

I am actively hunting for a Modulus Quantum 5. I may be asking stupid noob questions here, but please, if you can help me I'd be very much so appreciative.

1) Is there a year range, that for one reason or another, I should stay away from. For example, I see a '97 and a '07 on the market.

2) One of the attractive elements of the Q5 is the graphite beck. IF I were to buy a Q5 with a graphite neck and a Chechen fretboard, what differences in palying and sound would occur? Also, if the Chechen fretboard is from 97, does that factor in?

Thanks in advance,

James

2. Slowburn

Slowburn

3. alembicbones

alembicbones

I recently bought a new Q6 and really like the bass. Mine has the composite fingerboard and the Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp. I think this is a very nice combination. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Chechan fingerboard. However, I think the all composite neck looks more natural for this bass.

Happy Hunting,
    Bones

4. Slowburn

Slowburn

thanks bone for the response!

i compeltely agree, i wish this model just had the composite fretboard! but if I'm not sacrificing anything significant other than aesthetics, i can live with it. thank you for any more info!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sobie18

sobie18

I don't think there would be any differences between the '97 & '07. Now, some of the earlier ones were neck-throughs...

As for sound, couldn't tell ya the differences. I have the phenolic boards on mine and I dig them as they are. Never played the chechen ones but I guess they would be good, too. I personally wouldn't be freaking out whether it was ebony, chechen, phenolic, or pine. It's gonna feel, play, and sound nice.

The only thing I regret is not buying a Modulus 20 years ago...

7. sobie18

sobie18

I do think the chechens look hot, though.

8. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The graphite board is very bright and snappy. More than maple. The Chechen warms it up. Not "rosewood" warm but in comparison to graphite.

If you had 2 identicle basses and the only difference was the board, you'd notice a difference.

9. elgecko

elgecko

The big change that occurred in Quantum basses happened in the mid 90s sometime. That's when "neck relief adjustment" was introduced. Prior to that, Moduli had no way of changing neck relief and were more stiff and solid compared to the current crop.

I've never played a chechen Modulus so I can't comment on that.

10. Slowburn

Slowburn

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    True, but the non-truss rod Modulus basses have a MUCH thinner neck as well. I can't play a newer Modulus as the neck is like a baseball bat compared to my 1995 Modulus basses.

My Q5 has the lowest action on an bass I have ever played and the neck is rock solid and never moves. This is amazing as in Canada we have huge temp/humidity swings.

BUT... not so lucky with my 1995 Q4. It is at Modulus now as the neck has a small forward bow. What is really upsetting is that I can't find the receipt. If I go with a new neck it is $1000!!!!

Bottom line IMO.... The older Modulus basses play better, but if the neck goes wonky (VERY rare) like mine, you are seriously screwed.

Also, Chechen sounds ok, but I would only buy a Modulus with the graphite fingerboard. That is part of what gives it the distintive tone IME.

12. elgecko

elgecko

I had no idea they changed the neck profile when they added the neck relief adjustment. That's almost blasphemous! I absolutely love the profile on my older Q5. All three of my Modulii are pre-neck relief.