1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hidersine Rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by mightyd, Apr 4, 2007.

1. mightyd

mightyd

Whats the difference between the following two rosins?
    Which one's better?

Hidersine: All Weather Double Bass Rosin

Hidersine: Grade Two Double Bass Rosin
  2. littlekatie

littlekatie

IMHO both terrible. Get yourself some Carlsson. If I remember correctly, the hidersine all weather was just like a violin rosin.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

4. reedo35

reedo35

+1 for Carlsson's, although I am currently evaluating some Oak rosin, which I am liking as well.
  5. BelfastBass

BelfastBass

Carlsson's rocks - great stuff!......unfortunately had to make do with Hidersine roisin for a couple of days whilst I waited on my Carlsson's - not a good experience!
  6. Eli_Upright12

Eli_Upright12

Ill plug Kolstein here as everyone else is going for Carlsson
  7. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer

I used to use the grade 2 to cut Pops. A little Pops, a little Hidersine #2. It can be used by itself but it is pretty hard stuff. The "All weather" was "no weather" for me. I'm still trying to find a violinist who'll take it. Maybe that cello player ....

Best to me is Gaston Brohan's Oak Rosin. Similar to Carlsson in tone, but somewhat less powder and more grab on the lowest notes.
  8. reedo35

reedo35

This has been my experience also. The medium is VERY similar to Carlsson's but the soft is a bit gummy IMO.
  9. appler

appler Guest

I'm using Hidersine All-Weather right now. It's actually the only rosin I've ever had. What's the difference between Hidersine and Carlsson or Pop's?
  10. bassplayer48

bassplayer48

I have a question about Hidersine as well i just got some number 1 for cold weather i believe, since its winter here right now thats probably fine, but its very hard? so not sure if any is getting on the bow or not?

Sorry newbie to bowing by the way, I got this rosin for nothing cos thats all the luthier had but i know another one who i'm sure would have a larger choice.

So how hard or soft should it be?
  11. JayR

JayR

I've found the soft works good for using one or two swipes of it alongside primarily medium/hard. I was using a 20/60/20 mix of soft/medium/hard for a while before it got so damn hot (after which I had to stop using the soft) which worked great.
  12. toman

toman

For some reason I had a cake of Hindersine (All-weather, I think) some years ago, and yes, it seemed to be just like cello rosin. Hard and powdery; not much use on a bass bow. At least for usual techniques, I guess some guys like that type of rosin. Personally I like Carlson most of the year and Nyman's in hot weather, because it seems to not melt so easily and get overly sticky.
  13. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

I started playing with Hindershire all-weather, and didn't know what I was missing until I got a cake of Pops.

It is possibly the worst bass rosin on the planet, in my experience. I just bought some Carlsson and my past experience with that has been great, so I'll vouch for that. Hindershire to me is like fragments of the least sticky glass in a shiny cake.