1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

High Beams on a Jazz Bass - Basstringsonline comes through again!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mellowinman, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman

So I mentioned on here that I got the right strings to tune my 5-string Jazz to D-G-C-F-Bb. http://www.bassstringsonline sold me some custom sized DR High Beams, and it really made the bass come alive.

The strings were a bit on the thick side, and really made those low notes ring out. The problem was, when I went to play my main bass, the 4-string Jazz tuned to E standard, the two year old DR Black Beauties just sounded muddy and dead.

My wife is my Tone Manager, (trust me; I don't have any choice in this,) and she was just apoplectic about the EQ problems presented when I switch basses, and didn't like that the bass I play the most is the one that sounds the worst.

So I got me a set of High Beams in a slightly heavy gauge for the 4-string, and put them on tonight, and we spent some time A-B'ing the two instruments. At first, she said the 5-string sounded better, so I had her step into the other room, and stopped playing the notes that can only be played on a bass tuned to D. I played a standard blues run, all fretted, so open strings wouldn't give away which bass it was.

She picked the 4-string as the superior tone, and I proved it by walking into the room still playing it. So we had a little celebration, because for the bass I play the most to sound slightly better is cool. (it has EMG Select pickups; the 5-string has whatever Squier Affinity V's come stock with.) It was a good test result for another reason:

I bought HER a set for her Ibanez. She plays GHS Boomers, and I haven't liked their sound since she first put them on. The had a tone of string noise, and sounded overly bright and barky, and now that they've been on long enough to go slightly dead, they still have that annoying rasp to them. I got her a set of DR High Beams in the normal Medium gauge that she likes to play, and I think she is going to put them on this weekend sometime.

I really hope they sound as good on the active Bartollinis as they do on my two Jazz basses, which brings me to a question:

I really think the DR High Beams bring out the sound I like, which is really just the essence of a Fender Jazz bass. Has anyone else experienced this? I mean, they're bright, but it seems like they are "mid-bright" instead of "highs-bright," which I wouldn't like. The lows are well defined, but still have some nice round boominess to them. I'm excited for her to get them on the Ibanez, and more excited to play a gig.

I really think our bass sound has lacked some definition, and when I played the 5-string at the last gig, it really did seem to jump out at you. I hope that happens with all three of our basses.
  2. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Not with a Fender Jazz specifically, but with a souped-up J-style instrument, yes. I own a Carvin SB5000 - Carvin's take on a modern five-string Jazz - with a set of Delano JMVC 5 FE humbuckers, and an Audere JZ6D-VB-3B Jazz plate onboard preamp.

I specifically chose a set of medium-gauge Hi-Beams because I thought they would make a good match. I was mistaken: They make a great match - zingy & ringy, but not too pingy! :smug:

Great feel, long life and a tone with an abundance of high mids - but smooth, not clanky & clangy as with so many stainless steel roundwounds.

MM
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman

So do you think they'll sound good on the Ibanez SR-700, with the active Bartollinis?
  4. MysticMichael

I don't think they'll sound bad...

MM
  5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I have been using lighter gauge Sadowsky and Fender Nickel-plated round wounds on my Jazzes and P/J. They are bright, even clanky, when desired, and have a rich, focused pitch—until they get a little too old.

Just put a set of light Hi Beams (.045-.095) on my CS Jazz early '60s relic. Yeah! These are the DR strings I've always liked best—kept forgetting. Ordering a couple of new sets right now.

They work very well for getting a clear, clean, but classic Jazz tone. They are sounding sweet, rich, subtle, but clearly present for finger-style and slap. They feel rather smooth, flexible, and fine textured for full blown rounds. :cool:
  6. MysticMichael

That's because they're not full-blown rounds. They're compression-wound strings. That's why they feel rather smooth to the touch, and finely-textured. That's also why they sound more refined than full-blown rounds. Because the outer wrap has been compressed down a bit, to the point that you can hear it, as well as feel it.

MM
  7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I have found the same thing. I used to never like new strings because they were too bright but the Hi beams are just incredible in bringing out the best things in a Jazz tone. I'm getting ready to put a new set on one of my Jazzes and I am actually exited, rather than dreading the break in period.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman

She finally put them on! Man, do they sound good!
  9. KingRazor

KingRazor

Is this true for all of their strings or only the round cores?