high beams review

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harpguy74, Apr 12, 2014.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

so I have logged enough time on these I think to say if I like them or not . first off let me say that the only strings I have had on my jazz for the last 2 years are labella flats , the same flats to be exact. I ordered a set of high beams the same time I orderd a fretless neck, I loves them right away , the clarity was awesome the feel, tone , I could not think of anything I did not like about them . after a bit more than a month of a hour or 2 a night give or take they still sound pretty good. the brightness and zing kinda started to fizzle out, I might try to clean them to see if I get some of it back but I can see me changing them every 2 months or so. I can think of a lot of things that I have spent 20$ a month on that I did not enjoy as much as a fresh set of hi beams. are these my new string? who knows , but for the next while they are.

2. bungletrpg

bungletrpg Supporting Member

+1. These are great strings.

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 it was the last round wound strings I used before I totally move to La Bella flats (Before the hi beam I used to used Rotosound Swing)

4. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

Okay, I guess mine will be the first dissenting voice on this post. I'm a longtime Lo-Riders user, but a few weeks ago thought I would get back to a little more of the zing and grit that I used to enjoy with Rotosounds. I decided to go with the Hi-beams for a couple of reasons - first, because my impression is that DRs last longer than Rotosounds, and secondly because the standard gauge for the A string on a pack of Rotos (.80) doesn't fit my current nut slot on my Jazz bass.

Anyway... I have to say that I've been disappointed and will likely go back to a set of Lo-Riders before the natural lifespan of the Hi-beams is finished.

My main gripe is the tension - it's way lower than what I'm used to. (Full disclosure: Most of my playing time in recent months has been on a P-bass with flats that have really high tension, plus the Lo-Riders mentioned previously are relatively high tension.) Another gripe is uneven output from string to string. I mean, the D string just disappears in some situations.

But this is all IMHO, of course.

JaredRoacho likes this.
  7. hasbeen

hasbeen

Disclosures:
    Vice President, KMC Music Inc.
    DR's are outstanding. I have a lot of very different basses in my arsenal and DR makes a string that is perfect for each one. Most often it is High Beams or Sunbeams.

Sunbeams almost exclusively for fretless.

8. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Agreed. I use Sunbeams on my fretless as well.

9. Mechanical

Mechanical

I prefer Sunbeams on my fretted J bass.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen

Disclosures:
    Vice President, KMC Music Inc.
    me too. I have High Beams on my Lakland 5 string and Ken Smith 6 string.

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Hi Beams and Lo Riders...all I use on my gigging basses. I've had pretty good life out of them too, especially the SS Lo Riders. Would definitely love to start endorsing DR strings, I love their product :bassist:

12. harpguy74

harpguy74

the only thing I have noticed in the last week is as much as I love old flats I am not a huge fan od 2 month old ss.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I also have Sunbeams on a fretted J, and I think they're excellent. My favorite rounds are the old version Fender Super Bass 8250's, and the Sunbeams are probably the closest I've found to those. They aren't quite as bright, but otherwise the sound and feel are about the same.

I recently bought a set of Hi Beam flats, intending to put them on my Jazz V. Then I bought a G&L M-2500, so now I'm thinking the MFD/flatwound combo could be really interesting. Might give it a go today.

14. GastonD

GastonD

I have been playing DR strings for a long time now. I started with Lo-Riders but later moved to Hi-Beams and loved them.
    G-Mon, the whole point of the Lo-riders is to have a bit more tension, in order to suit lower action, hence the name...as is the the case with Hi-Beams (meant for higher action).
    My last set, I moved to Fat Beams, as the store did not have my preferred gauge of regular Hi-Beams. Fats sound awesome too, them seem to sound just a tiny bit more bassy or darker than the regular Hi-Beams, so they also tend to preserve the original sound a bit longer...or it could just be my perception.

15. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

I love the Hi-beams also. They sound very "alive".

I've got a set of fat beams to try out next. I'll be surprised if I notice a significant difference.