High Bi-Amp Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by madmarvin, Mar 18, 2014.

1. madmarvin

madmarvin

I am looking to bi-amp my current rig using an Ampeg SVT 200T. It has the capability to actually bi-amp and I do understand most of that.

My issue is that I cannot seem to find a proper cabinet for the high pass. All of the cabinets I research are full range cabs and it seems to be a complete waste to get a cab thats more designed for the lower registries (300hz and down) and only use it for it's upper registries, an area most bass cabs are not really optimized for.

Rolling off the upper tones on the lower cab are not as much of an issue as most 2x15 etc are really shining in those lower areas and I don't feel like I am wasting much.

Bottom line is for the upper pass should I be looking at using something other than a bass cab? I actually tried sending the upper pass into a Fender Twin Reverb but found the tone to be horribly suited to bass applications. Should I perhaps be looking at PA systems enclosures?

One of the reasons I am looking into bi-amping is because I have had fun messing with effects on the separate cabs. I also like to overdrive the highs a bit and keep the super thump in the lows.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Find a 112 guitar cab.

3. madmarvin

madmarvin

It's funny you responded, because the cabinets I was originally looking at were a 215 Dually and Crazy88. What I discovered was that using the Crazy88 as the upper cab was a complete waste of that cab.

4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep. Both are full range cabs. Actually with a Dually you wouldnt need to bi-amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. madmarvin

madmarvin

Unfortunately I don't have the funds for the Dually yet, the 215 I'm using lacks a lot of definition in the higher end. I have all the equipment to do the biamp, all I really need is to figure out what to use for that upper cab, or at least what direction to go with it. I'm just looking to experiment with the two amp/cab stuff mostly at home. Eventually I will probably get a big tube amp and 151566 and be done with it.

7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    A '66 with a big tube amp does do the trick. Then again so does the DuallyT.

If you have an existing 215, and just want to add highs, AND you have an amp with a built in cross over and dual channels, then just go find a 112 guitar cab. Or buy an appropriate mid driver of some sort and build a small sealed box for it.

8. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Trace Elliott and Hartke both made 4x5" brite boxes at one time.
    May be something you can find used, but might not.

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

It doesn't take much to brighten your sound. I had a 3015LF in a standalone box, went low great, but lacked high end. Just messing around with my collection of random crap, I plopped an old SWR 35w 1x10 practice amp on top. Sounded amazing. Then I tried my Peavey Classic 30 Guitar Amp (G12H30 speaker), also sounded great, but obviously grittier. Experiment and have fun, but +1 for guitar speakers.

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
  11. Dave Oliver

Dave Oliver

I used an acoustic 6 x 10" cabinet for the high end along time ago. I use a small rig nowadays.

12. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I ran biamped rigs for decades. I usually crossed around 500Hz and used a wide variety of cabinets. Open back 12" guitar cabinets were favorites but I used everything from 4X8 vertical PA cabinets, 2X10 cabinets, 2X8 cabinets, Bose 801 cabinets, Hot Spot monitors (2X4.5") and a few 6.5" speakers (like a round omni-directional enclosure.)

I also ran full bass rigs, and used a 300Hz highpass into effects and a guitar amp. I found it didn't take much of a guitar amp. Practice amps worked fine, even as little as 10 watts. (This with a 550watt GK rig.)

My 22 watt Deluxe Reverb was pretty much overkill.

13. madmarvin

madmarvin

Thanks for all the help, suggestions have been great.

6x10 seems like COMPLETE overkill...lol. I like the headcase and the brite boxes seem neat. I've tried using other auxiliary amps, but have found they all don't quite have the tone I'm looking for. I was looking to pair a cabinet up with a 400RB and overdrive it a touch to add that gritty crunch on the top. I may just hit up some yard sales with the weather getting nicer and see what I can grab, wife willing.

What are you running now Steve?

14. madmarvin

madmarvin

I looked at the Hartke bright box, probably unusable in this application. Frequency response starts at 2khz. I don't even know how that is usable for bass.

15. madmarvin

madmarvin

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395793058.574424.jpg

That's what I ended up doing. Sounds great. I probably will scale the 410 back to a 210 down the road, although I really like the height on the 410.