1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

High Eb or Low C# for 10 string bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dragzole, Feb 7, 2014.

?

High Eb tuning or low C# tuning for 10 string bass?

1. High Eb tuning

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Low C# tuning

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Just get an 11 string...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dragzole

Dragzole

I was wondering what peoples opinion would be on this topic. I only play a sixer right now, but id definitely like to have a bass with this many strings:bassist:

So, low C# tuning(C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb) starting at C#0
    High Ab tuning (F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb) starting at F#0

Both tunings are in standard fourths
    What do you guys think would be the more useful tuning?
    Do you think the choice should just be eliminated with an 11 string?:)
  2. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

If you're looking for something like that, just go for an 11 string haha it eliminates the problem of having to choose then having buyer's remorse
  3. Dragzole

Dragzole

Yeah that's what I was thinking, plus with an odd number of strings, scales are a lot easier, thanks for the input
  4. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

The C# is not very audible. More effect than anything, for almost like a sub kick kinda slap sound. You would get the same thing from playing an F# the correct way, but in that range you can still make out notes. Just my $0.02.
  5. Jensby design

Jensby design

Just out of curiosity, have you played in ranges this high or low before.
    If not you should really give it a try, get all the strings and put half of them on your bass at a time just to see what you like using.
    I personally do not care to use anything pass a high F-string, love to hear other people do it, just feels odd for me. I don't think I can go too low.
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I have absolutely no idea if what you've said is correct or not, but I find my B string sufficient, and I've never felt the need for a low F#, much less anything lower (while respecting those that do). To be honest, I can't even imagine notes much lower than F#, although without hearing it myself, my mind remains open.

Still, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a high Eb would be much more musically useful. At least to me.
  7. Dragzole

Dragzole

That's what I was leaning towards as well, also, as far as applications for the low F#, you'd need it to accompany an eight string guitar, and when given the low C#, you then have notes an entire octave LOWER than standard 4 string basses, so u can play sub-bass parts to songs, which is cool
  8. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

A practical question: do you have the hands to take full advantage of that many strings? Not saying this as a "hater", more as a "been there done that".

I had 7 string envy for a particular Benavente, and was lucky enough to be able to buy it; but I quickly found out my hands aren't big enough to play low notes comfortably on such a wide neck. A narrower spacing would have made it more practical for me.

Jean Baudin plays 11 string - with a two-handed tap technique. If that's what you're aiming for, great. If you plan to play it like a bass, you'd better have hands like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (showing my age here!).

I'd suggest you find someone with a bass like the one you would have built and give it a try before you spend money on a custom you won't be able to play.
  9. Dragzole

Dragzole

Yeah for sure