High End Basses, Just Thinkin'.........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hifibass, Dec 5, 2012.

1. hifibass

hifibass Supporting Member

I hope the moderators don't misunderstand my motives here, but here's a link to one of the US's top Boutique Guitar Shops.

http://stores.ebay.com/Willcutt-Guitars?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Once you've looked at their offerings, doesn't OUR World of Boutique Bass Builders look like the Bargain of the Century?

You can have EXACTLY what you want, right or wrong, built for a fraction of these mass produce "custom guitars/basses".

PLEASE don't let on that we've figured this out, but why should I pay $9K for a PRS or comparable custom, when a TRULY "custom bass" is 1/3rd or 1/2 of that?

I may be an idiot, but please speak slowly so I understand.

BTW, My first Alembic, a '76 Series One, was $1200.
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not sure of what point you are making. The distribution of those prices is pretty much representative of the distribution of 'small manufacturer bass guitars'.... roughly $2,000 -$12,000 or so.

That Alembic that you bought 35+ years ago is now over $10,000.

That being said, paying $9,000 for any instrument is extreme, bass or guitar, and if you can afford it, and it speaks to you, what the heck. The vast majority of custom guitars or basses that I see are in the $2,500 to $4,000 range.
  3. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

"Resale Value"
  4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

10 000$ is a joke for classical instrument ... We have it easy with our SX at 100$ that is good enough for a cover gig in a crappy bar !!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

What he said.

On a different but similar front: you can buy a near new 2004 Corvette Z06 with 4,500 miles for about $30k or you can pickup a new Corvette for between $50k and about $120k. Or, if your pocket book is big enough, you can also be riding in a new Lamborghini for between $180k-$400k.

The all have 4 wheels and a motor (just like all other cars).
  7. millsbass5

millsbass5

8. chef wong

chef wong

When you consider how much time is spent building some boutique basses, you then understand the price.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
  10. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

boutique basses just like guitars vary in price range. You can get an alembic like yours or get a 10K fodera. Boutique doesn't specify price range alone. Same goes for guitar builders, there are a whole lot of custom guitar builders.
  11. chadds

chadds

I was with you until you said that about the 4 wheels and a motor. :)
    There is wisdom in getting this supercar after it depreciates.
    The difference is not even close though, between these supercars and the other 4 wheeled & motored units of transportation.
  12. chadds

chadds

Oh Yeah!
  13. chadds

chadds

This was covered here once. This luthier has to earn a living wage while supporting a shop and employees, insurance, material, machines, utilities, shipping & receiving, and customer service.
  14. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

Law of diminishing returns.
  15. chadds

chadds

Law of Diminishing Cash.:)