1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

High-End Fretless Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lobaw, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Lobaw

Lobaw Supporting Member

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I've been on the hunt for a high-end, 4 string, large body, fretless acoustic bass that has a very upright sound. I've seen a lot of threads discussing different basses, but nothing about what's currently available in this market range, short of going to a boutique builder for a one-off. I've tried the usual basses: Rob Allen, Rick Turner, etc. and they all sound great, but they're not what I'm looking for.

So, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a production bass with these qualities.

Thanks!!

2. Full acoustic or semi-acoustic?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think the Rob Allen's will get you the closest. The only other I can think of is the one that Alain Caron uses (I can't remember the make of it though).

5. Lobaw

Lobaw Supporting Member

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    What I had in mind was a large body acoustic. I guess it would be a full acoustic, with a piezo of some kind.

I was under the impression that there were several production basses that had these qualities, but fewer are being made today. I'm just running into a dead end locating anything other than the boutique basses - which, of course are very nice.

Here's one bass that I like quite well, but it is a one-off:

http://www.markbass.it/artist_detail.php?id=81

Check out the video located second from the bottom on Ralf Gauck's artist page. I know that it's a one-off, and if I ultimately need to go in that direction, I'm hopeful that I can find a builder closer to Seattle.

Thanks, again, for the help.

6. OtisRocks

OtisRocks

Oct 28, 2009
    Toronto
  7. While ABGs aren't quite my thing, if I were to get one, I'd probably hit up KR Guitars. He's hasn't built an ABG yet, but has built acoustics and basses.

I got this about two weeks ago. Well, I guess it's almost a bass since it's a 27-25" scale tuned low B to high E. I'm currently working out the logistics of a 28.6" scale 12 string tuned B-B that I can easily capo the 5th fret.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regardless of maker, I highly recommend a forearm bevel for comfort. I really dig the B-Band pre with the UST (piezo) and AST (soundboard pickup).

8. chunkstyle

chunkstyle

Nov 14, 2003
    NOLA
    Bill Laswell's most recent record is solo acoustic bass (for the most part) and he gets great tone out of a Warwick Alien. Check it out.

9. Lobaw

Lobaw Supporting Member

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for all of the responses. They were very helpful in finding other posts and threads I missed, when I posted this thread. And there are some really nice acoustic basses out there. I guess the take home message is that I'll need to have a bass built, unless I can find one of the older high quality production basses.

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Tacoma?
    Also, Taylor used to
    Make a big body bass that had the similar offset sound hole.

11. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I've seen a Ribbecke Halfling bass for sale. Also some Fylde ABGs, though I think all of them had frets.

Vinny Colletti has a very nice looking fretless archtop bass for sale with a big body, but it does have a magnetic pickup at the end of the fingerboard so I'm not sure how much it's meant to be used acoustically. A few months ago I asked him about this - he has one in stock and was willing to cut quite a deal on it.

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
  13. mfbolton

mfbolton Multi-Instrumentalist - M.F. Bolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
  14. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Want

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This has a very "upright" sound:

[​IMG]

16. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    + a million, if you want an upright sound just get yourself an upright. No ABG will sound like an DB. Not only does the DB push more air; the scale length and the playing technique also contribute to the distinctive sound.....

17. Kickass

Kickass

Jul 20, 2012
    Scottish Borders
    My home made bass sounds like a DB. Waiting to find a fretless neck to make a into one of these. Plenty of volume, small and a conversation piece.

18. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Supporting Member

Here is an interesting comparison of ABG's:

19. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    +1 for the Azola Deco Bass. You would have to find one used. Steve isn't making basses anymore. Top notch basses.

20. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Supporting Member

Wow! That Ribbecke is really sweet