1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

high end lost in the mix

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ellabuso, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Ellabuso

Ellabuso Gold Supporting Member

Any help is appreciated. I am playing either a pedulla RBJ4 or a modulus VJ. When things get loud octave accents or the upper end of a walk up are lost in the mix. I play through either a GK MB150S with a reloaded peavey minx as a slave (it was an experiment that worked well), or a GK MB210II patched to the PA. I can no longer lift the Bag End 4-10.
    Will a compressor help level this out? Also, how fast are compressors, will i step on myself during triplets?
    best,
    Ellabuso

2. Dave Martin

Dave Martin

Though I'm not part of the Berklee Bass department, I would suggest that a lot of your issues may be based on one of three things - first, if there's a whole lot of folks playing in the register where you want to hear the high frequencies of your bass, you can simply be lost in the racket. Second, there are times when you will simply need to hit the high notes harder for them to cut through, especially if (here's the third thing) you've got a pretty substantial amount of low end on your amp or they're adding it at FOH, making the low to mid-register notes sound louder than the high notes.

Personally, I would rather work on playing evenly rather than using a compressor; but to answer your question, most decent ones are fast enough that you won't step on yourself (depending on the settings).

3. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

If you do go with a compressor, and you want it fast, I might look at something that is 1176 emulation like the M87. Of course, www.ovnilab.com has all the reviews thanks to bongo.