High end Squiers and MIM Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Oct 21, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey guys, you guys often say to steer clear of MIM Fenders and instead opt for higher end Squiers. I kind of agree because my CV P bass is mindblowing for its value, but I was disappointed with my used VM Jazz bass V's neck. I come here to say this because I'm selling my VM Jazz for a 4 string jazz or 2- I'd like to try a fretless too. Should I get a fretted MIM jazz and a fretless MIM jazz? Or a VM fretless jazz? Maybe a CV jazz fretted and a VM fretless jazz to save some cash? And how does the quality of the CV jazz hold to the MIM? the CV P bass has completely abolished my prejudice against squiers and I really don't care which name is on the headstock. Thanks guys.
  2. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Every time that I've tried a CV Jazz in the music store, its been the best jazz bass in the place - better than MIM, MIA, whatever. I don't think you can go wrong with picking one of these up. I also liked the VM Jazz I used to have. All that said, it always matters exactly what instrument you are dealing with. There is so much variability between them. Go out and play a lot, and buy the one that works for you.

Can't comment on any fretless models.
  3. J03YW

J03YW

I've tried many models in my local shop, the squiers were very comparable to the MIMs, the MIAs had much nicer necks and balance but I'm 16 so I'm not gonna gun for those now. Money's tight, and so are them squiers. I can't really speak confidently though because everything in that store is in DIRE need of a good setup, but what store does maintain their floor models like ever? Oh and I just noticed that the CV has a very nice bridge- much chunkier than the MIM. Kinda like a badass clone or something. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: The whole reason I started this thread was because of how the basses were setup in store, I could not effectively compare so I'm looking for peoples insight who actually have these basses set up properly.
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

"Hey guys, you guys often say to steer clear of MIM Fenders and instead opt for higher end Squiers. "

just a friendly heads up ... vague and general terms can be extremely misleading ... there many models of Fender that are MIM, some on here also feel that perhaps some of the best buys in the ENTIRE Fender line happen to be MIM basses ...

... your comment I am assuming, is directed towards that MIM Standards ... and even with that said, there are fairly dramatic differences in both different eras of MIM Standards, as well as in EACH bass ... I think it is safe to say, that those on here making the comment you refer to, own the basses they are commenting on ... many others own different Fender's ... MIM as well as MIA basses, and feel the same way about theirs ...

... bottom line, is if you like it ... thats all that matters :)

... the Squier VM fretless is one heck of a buy used .. and a great way to get into the world of fretless to see if it is for you and learn on .. I bought and sold a few, before I dummied up and realized that I was NOT a fretless player ... JMHO
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

ooo Road Worn basses, yum! and MIM. that said I dig the squire CV basses
  7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I needed a decent utilitarian Jazz-bodied 5-string with 18mm string spacing as a platform for a GK-3B MIDI pickup, so I tried a bunch of Fender MIM and Squier Jazz 5ers in music stores in the SF Bay area. There's a certain amount of variation in quality, and I wouldn't buy any of them sight-unseen, but the Squier VMs consistently played and sounded better than the MIM "Standards", despite being less than half the price.
  8. aprod

aprod

There is no such thing as a high end Squier. They are a budget line. If you want high end get a Fender. MIM Fenders are better than any Squier and American Fenders are better than MIM Fenders. You get what you pay for.
  9. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Definitely not true in my experience.
  10. fusionbassed

fusionbassed

My Squier VM 70s 5 string plays better than my MIA American Special or my MIM Geddy Lee. The electronics are the major difference; the AS has a fabulous, well balanced sound for jazz and rock, it can do Jaco and cover most rock stuff, but the Geddy is better for anything that's harder rock, but it also is not the best playing bass (I need to drag it to my small shop tech and pay for the time to really set it up right). Oddly enough, the Geddy works well in getting me a nice deep sound for the Dixieland group I play in, but I may start using the 5 string because some of the parts call for low D, C and B notes and unless you use a drop tuning you won't get those on a 4 string.

If I were playing in a metal shred band I would use the 5 - not only for the extended range, but the playability and low action without buzz are awesome. There are some great values in Indonesian made instruments from other makers as well right now. Some of the Indonesian Ibanez and G&L guitars and basses are really good. MIMs in my experience are hit and miss, although the American Specials are partially made in Mexico and finished in the US with nicer electronics. I may eventually swap out the pickups and pots in the Squier and upgrade them; at that point I might take the headstock sticker off and just put a "Fender Jazz Bass" on it. I wish Fender would start making some of the American "Special" instruments in Indonesia and stuffing better electronics/parts on them in the US for assembly because I think the playability is actually better than many MIM and MIA instruments.
  11. dougjwray

dougjwray

You probably won't like this answer, but... You REALLY need to play a lot of everything, and select the best specimen. When I was shopping for a Jazz Bass 10 years ago, I played about 50 (all kinds of Squiers, MIMs, MIAs) in every store available, and I ended up with a new MIM. It simply had the most resonant body. Sometimes it comes down to that: which chunk of wood happens to be your favorite, sound wise.
    (I still have that bass, and gig with it all of the time.)
  12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

from my experience american fenders look much prettier than mexican fenders, a lot of people will tell me I'm full of it. i play a MIM jazz bought sight unseen and it sounds incredible but weighs 14lbs. one of the best fender jazzes I've played was a geddy lee the other is an affinity. i've played the natural VM jazzes with some being heavy as crap and others being light as a feather.

obviously it's all over the place, but I will say they are all pretty good. go play them all until you find the one that speaks to you.
  13. fusionbassed

fusionbassed

Best advice. My MIM Geddy and one of my MIM Teles I bought sight unseen. I am not as happy with them as the instruments that I pulled off the wall and bonded with.
  14. SteveC

SteveC

The Squire CV jazz I played a couple days ago was the best playing, sounding and looking jazz in the store. They didn't have a USA jazz but were getting some this week. At this point in my debt, I'm not sure a USA is worth the difference TO ME right now. On the other hand, I just can't make myself buy a Squire. I know. Gear snob.
  15. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

I wouldn't say steer clear of ALL MIMs. 90s MIMs, sure. They're hit or miss. Any of the newer ones are pretty good. Just find one with a lower weight. Now, the RoadWorn & Classic series MIMs are AMAZING basses. On par with their American Standard brethren, for sure. :) The Active Deluxe series is pretty solid, too.

As for Squiers, the VM/CV are great value, but they do have their off models too. My Squier Jag V has a misaligned pickup (because of bad pickguard routing...it's being replaced). Affinity's are iffy, too.
  16. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

If you were in the San Francisco area, I could direct you to a couple of stores where you can A/B a Squire VM Jazz and a Fender MIM Standard Jazz, and I'd defy you to find an aspect in which the MIM is superior.

The manager of one of the shops even volunteered, spontaneously, that he wasn't going to be ordering any more MIM Fenders for a while, as there was just no reason to stock them, given the quality and value of current Squiers.

All that having been said, I also tried a Squier "Deluxe Active" Jazz, which looked nice for the price, but sounded like sh*t. But the VMs seem to be the real deal.
  17. J03YW

J03YW

I'm actually very interested in the Modern Player Jazz bass satin- 4 strings, humbuckers, classic jazz tone. The metal I play isn't so thrashy, think more like Mastodon and stuff. I like classic Fender tones.
  18. J03YW

J03YW

My VM Jazz 5 string is great sounding- I just hate the neck so I'm looking to the Modern Player series for their new 4 string with the humbuckers.
  19. J03YW

J03YW

I'm trying this answer at the moment, but half the shops in my area don't bother to set up their instruments and the other half don't stock anything relevant to my interests.
  20. J03YW

J03YW

I meant relatively.
  21. J03YW

J03YW

Okay, so I went to a shop today and found a Modern Player Jazz with the humbuckers and I gotta say it fits me. It's the only bass in 20 miles with a decent setup, but the price is awesome and it sounds like a Jazz bass on steroids. I think I might have to invest in a VM fretless jazz after this, though. That thing was tiiiiiiiiiiiight.