1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

High output P-Pickup to drive B:Assmaster into Fuzz Heaven

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ratzpaul, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Hi guys,

I recently discovered that I need my B:Assmaster to be hit with a strong signal for me to enjoy the Fuzz. I switched from a high output G&L ASAT (same PU's as L2000) to a rather low output Fender AVRI 58 Precision, with the low output level of the AVRI 58 rendering the B:Assmaster useless for me. For details see the discussion here including sound samples:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/malekko-b-assmaster-sensitivity-pus-1067364/

Therefore I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the pickups in the 58er. I suppose the most obvious change would be for a G&L split coil MFD as found in the SB-1 / SB-2 basses, as I suppose they are similar in tone and output level to the ASAT humbuckers. But the reason for me to switch basses was (among others) that I wanted to try a more mid-heavy, hollow sounding tone with less pronounced highs. Probably what would be considered being "vintage", but still grinding, aggressive, in-your-chest tone. Therefore I'm looking for a P-Bass replacement PU with vintage qualities but high output to give the B:Assmaster the input level that is needed for it to sound good. Please chime in with your expertise in the following:

Could you please rate the output levels of the following PU's on a scale from 1 (near silent) to 10 (G&L MFD Level):

Dimarzio Model P
    Fralin P
    Lollar P
    Nordstrand NP4
    Fender 62 reissue
    Fender AVRI 58 PU (for reference)

These are those that - from what I've heard - deliver a vintage tone. I probably missed some PU's, feel free to point me in their direction, but please also indicate the output level of it on the basis of given 1-10 scale.

Mucho Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of a pedal that didn't play nice with my basses.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

The Dimarzio Split P DP 127 is a high output P pickup. DC Resistance:19.16 K ohm, and 250 mV output (the Model P 122 has a DC Resistance:11.54 K ohm, and 163 mV output, just for comparison). It may be a little more modern sounding than what you're looking for, but for high output, the DP 127 is a good place to start.

4. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The Dimarzio model P put out the most output by far, they are ceramic pickups so they are a different animal compared with the rest.

The Fralin is on the top of the range for P pickups, the Lollar has less output the Fender 62 reissue. I don't have any experience with the Nordstrand or the 58.

Another angle to tackle your issue is to put a boost in front of the fuzz pedal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jefkritz

jefkritz

depending on the g&l, you might not have a chance. i have a 90s l2000 that has the single hottest output of any bass i've ever played. it clips EVERYTHING if you're not careful (which can be fun). OTOH, my l2500 is fairly standard, though slightly higher output than a pbass as it's active.

but yeah, a boost could work.

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

You could also try to raise your pickups to see if this makes a difference.
    That's a cheap thing to test.

8. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Seymour Duncan Hot for P Bass SPB-2 is 22.40K