high pass filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sinbad7, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sinbad7

sinbad7

Ok, I simply want to know if this HPF (https://sites.google.com/site/hpftechllc/home/hpf-pre) is the cheapest they come. I know the tumperbumper thing is 150+ and I can't afford that right now. Just simply want to know if that's the cheapest they come and still work or if there is a cheaper one. Thanks guys
  2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I use his HPF-3 for electric bass and haven't heard of anything that does the same for less- I also think they are quite affordable for an original hand built design. I prefer it in theory to the Thumpinator because it allows tweakability of the filter. His Series 1 and 2 models are both significantly cheaper and will work for electric bass as well (though those were designed for upright bass), they just aren't as ideal (less steep roll-off on the filter and less ideal input headroom for the larger output if some electric basses). I used a Series 1 for a couple years before the Series 3 came out and it was still quite effective (though I do much prefer the more expensive Series 3 for the reasons mentioned above). Check the fDeck HPF thread in the amps forum for lots of testimonials!
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Looking for cheaper you may be tempted by some passive filters out there. They are cheap, but they can be tone-killers depending on how they're hooked up.
  4. sinbad7

sinbad7

I went a head and got the 3 after everyone on this forum telling me that I would eventually want to 3 (and that is the kind of guy I am, buy the cheap one, then a month later buy the better one) so I went a head a ordered the 3
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I don't think you'll regret it! The difference won't pop out at you the same way an effect like an envelope filter might, but depending on your rig the difference in tightness/rumble can be pretty striking.