High Pass/Shelving EQ in a Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jd_watt, Nov 24, 2013.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hi All,

I've been searching, but can't find any pedals that offer a high pass or shelving type eq. I'm looking to cut anything under 40hz before it hits my amp. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

I would contend maybe you haven't been looking that hard >.>

The two main contenders 'round these parts are probably FDeck's HPF and the SFX Micro-Thumpinator.

I use FDeck's series 3; nice aluminium box, good amount of control (-12db at 30hz [I think?] and an additional -12db that you can set anywhere from 30-140hz), and a lot more bang for buck than the SFX (in my opinion)

https://sites.google.com/site/hpftechllc/home/hpf-pre

3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

^^^^Yes both are great and do the job very well.

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

I've been looking as well. This is very common in recording gear, but not real popular in fx pedals. I've only found those 2.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

F-deck is an amazing piece of kit for an amazing price.

The only comparable unit I know of is Rolls sx21 mini crossover which requires an active buffer ( many pedals serve this function ), gives you option to use the low pass also.

7. jd_watt

jd_watt

@Wolffgang lol Thank you for that. Thanks to everyone else too... those are great suggestion that my search (or lack there of) did bring up. Cheers!

8. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

The Rolls only goes down to 50 Hz tho. Is that far enough? It might affect my purchase.

9. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

The fdeck is excellent

10. Rickenmonster

I already have a Rolls tho. Anyone compared the two? I just tried my Rolls and it seems to work just fine but I have some hearing issues. I just don't want to make a redundant purchase (again!). Any opinions on 50hz vs 40hz as a cutoff freq?

11. jd_watt

jd_watt

Along with Rickenmonster, would the 30hz roll of truly be considered a high pass filter? In other words, would there still be subsonic frequencies that could be perceived (20hz etc)? My main thought on this is just getting rid off all that extraneous low end rumble before the signal even hits the amp. I figured it would help in keeping things from getting muddy when we do shows without sound reinforcement or a professional sound guy.

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not many cabs make much below 50hz. I can run 50hz on 5 string with a subwoofer and get more than enough low B, ymmv.

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

In your effects loop is the place for a hpf, so long as you aren't peaking out your preamp it'll take out the subsonics before they are really amplified.

14. Rickenmonster

Good to know, thanks. So would the best place for an HPF be at the beginning of my signal chain?

15. aledeville

aledeville

That depends. There are devices that somehow enhance this unwanted low end and then it should be placed after those. This was the case with my preamp. Before the preamp the effect was almost absent, in the serial loop of the preamp the MicroThumpinator is as effective as it gets.
    No experience with the F-Deck, but I sure love my Thumpinators.

16. Rickenmonster

I see. I guess I'll just have to experiment a little.

17. jd_watt

jd_watt

I have a fuzz that seems to accentuate it, do I'd like to cut it pretty early in the chain. I also have an ampeg 410hlf, that as everyone has said, creates way too much boom and mud. I'd like to help clean that up too.

18. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Most effect pedals, wah included, do not actually produce more lows. The only one I can recall is a sub-octave synth. However, unwanted lows in the signal path eat up headroom like crazy. So removing it early in the chain makes sense.

19. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

A down-swept lowpass envelope filter or similar can DEFINITELY add lows, though sub-sonically, i am unsure.. point being ill often use a gentle hpf at a higher frequency [than my thumpinator/fdeck]to tame these kinds of effects.. a little off topic, sure, but maybe the epiphany someone needed

20. Matthijs

Matthijs

The Fdeck also has a use as an excellent buffering pre. That's what a lot of us DB players use it for. If you think your signal would benefit from a high impedance buffer, putting the Fdeck in front of the signal chain would be a good choice. If that's not really a concern you can put the thumpinator or the fdeck just about anywhere in the signal chain imho.

21. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Yes, a down sweeping envelope filter is an excellent example.