High Pitch Chirping Noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WCunha, Jan 12, 2011.

1. WCunha

WCunha

I believe I am getting microphonic feedback through my pickups. No matter what amp or preamp I plug into I get a high pitch chirping noise. I've plugged in both my basses and a guitar into everything even my home stereo receiver and I get the same noise.

The basses have EMG pickups and the guitar has passive pickups. The volume of the noise is different in all three instruments.

Is there something in my house generating this noise? I also made sure my cell phone wasn't by me when testing as well. If anyone has any insight it would be helpful.

Thanks
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It could be something in your house.

I was rehearing with some guys in the drummer's basement, which also had a full ProTools setup. The guitarist was using a Strat with single coils, and was getting this awful whining-chirping noise. Even my humbuckers were picking it up.

It turns out the drummer had one of those "invisible" fences for his dogs. That was creating the noise!

I get similar noises from my Roland digital mixer if I get too close to it.
  3. WCunha

WCunha

I put in a invisible dog fence last year. I can't imagine that the signal is that strong. Is there a way to filter it out? Thanks for the response I never would have thought of that.

Wade
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Try turning it off and see if it stops.

I was surprised as well, since we were in a basement and quite far from the yard.

I bet that's it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WCunha

WCunha

I'll give it a shot. I'm on the second floor of a two story house. I'll check tonight and post an update.
  7. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Do you live near a Radio Ham, those fellas affect the T.V and pretty much everything if they are in close proximity, like the Spinal Tap guitarist syndrome ; )
  8. slawie

slawie Supporting Member

Wade,

Pass the pickup leads through a ferrite bead. Try to loop them through twice ideally
    although once should be enough for noise interference reduction.
    You can pick them up fairly cheaply at electronics shops. One for each pickup.

slawie
  9. WCunha

WCunha

SGD I can't believe it but you're right. I unplugged my dog fence and the chirping went away.

Thanks a lot! It has been driving me nuts! Now I have to figure out a way to filter it.
  10. Vakmere

Vakmere

Go figure. Good 1. Put the dog on a leash during rehearsals.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Amazing call on that one!!!
  12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

I am an amateur radio operator aka "ham" and so you know plasma tv's also create RFI too.
  13. TimWilson

TimWilson

That really was an amazing call. If nothing else ever has, that one save justified the whole existence of TB... Good on ya, David. Have a beer.
  14. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Can't believe it! Had a chirping noise just as described above-I was going crazy trying to figure it out-changed basses,cables, amps-nothing! Then I realized I was wearing my chest belt for my heart monitor(had just finished exercising)-duh! Right now, I feel a little like Homer Simpson-thanks, guys, for getting me to look for off-the wall solutions for my problem!
  15. DGEL305

DGEL305

Thanks for posting this. I had a similar noise and could not figure out what was causing it. I found your post and realised that was the source. I too had my heart monitor on while strumming. This is a great site.
  16. Shippy

Shippy

When traveling on business I sometimes haul the bass with me to practice on and use a headphone amp and AT headphones.

My laptop was on and I heard the hard drive activity through the pickups on my Squier Jazz... very distinct.