1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

High pitch hum/hiss from Spector Rebop

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spego, Nov 15, 2012.

1. spego

spego Supporting Member

Ok so I'm trying to figure this out and stuck. I think it might be shielding but my friend I bought it from never had this issue.........so I'm really confused.

To start from the beginning......bass came stock......tonepump with EMG HZs in it. It is a Spector Zebop. I had this noise terrible with the HZs in it and it would pick up cell phone transmissions if the phone was even NEAR the bass. I took the tonepump out and tried a EMG BQC and the noise was there with the EMG preamp too.....so I put the tonepump back in (actually like it better). I tried playing out with it last weekend and the sound engineer said it had a hum coming through the channel.....tried to lift the ground no help.....changed basses and dead quiet......so the Spector was causing a hum through his equipment too. I did not hear the noise at that point through the amp itself though?

So then I changed the pickups to active EMGs (35CS and 35DC) as I have had zero problems with them in other basses. Now the bass makes the noise much less but it's still there! It gets worse if I tip the bass toward the ceiling and even worse if I point the rear strap lock button at the amp or speaker? It's not nearly as loud but still there and just the right frequency that its super annoying (to my ears anyway). I can plug it into other amps....still there......kill power to everything in my basement including turning off the cell phone......still there. I put together a video to see what some of you might think it is or if anyone has ever seen this before. Note since the active EMG swap I have not played it out (just did it this week.....I have gigs this weekend though).

Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks all. :D
  2. spego

spego Supporting Member

3. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

No luck? It's beyond my meager knowledge
  4. spego

spego Supporting Member

No still unable to figure it out. Doesn't seem to be bad outside the basement.....picks up my cell TERRIBLE if its in my pocket near the bass. I nearly put the soundman into cardiac arrest last night because of it. :/ never had any bass pick up interference like this one does.
  5. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

That's just odd...I had a similar issue with a single coil PJ bass and a big ole ampeg combo years ago...I picked up some spanish radio station. But it was only when I plugged into a certain outlet at our practice spot.
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I haven't experienced the problem you described with my Rebop but stopped playing my Euro 4LX because of hum and the fact that no matter what volume I had the bass set on, it always sounded like it was "farting" through the speakers. I tried playing it through different amps and cabs and always had the problem. Some Spectors have an output control in the circuit but mine does not. I gave up and stopped playing it. They are great playing basses and very comfortable. The tone is very good and they cut through the mix very well. Just too noisy probably due to a very hot preamp circuit.
  7. spego

spego Supporting Member

Ive had interference through other passive pickups but never through any active emg or mec setup ive ever used. The bass definitely sounds good......and I like the tone pump a lot. This one has the trim pot on it.......it was full open when I got it and left it there.
  8. Severu

Severu

Same here with a non-LX Euro4 with the tonepump. It's very annoying and makes the bass unusable for live situations.
  9. spego

spego Supporting Member

I don't have the bass anymore.....recently sold it (not because of the noise.....because I hated the neck). BUT after changing the HZs out for active EMGs it fixed a lot of the noise. I just bought a older used Ibanez SR1000 and it does the same thing the Spector used to as well.

Best thing I can say if you want to fix it......swap out the preamp. I changed the preamp out for a EMG BQC for like 1 night......it was dead quiet (with both active EMGs pups too) but I didn't keep it in there as it was out of another bass at the time. I never ordered a preamp because I didn't like the neck and planned to sell it eventually anyway. I'll probably replace the preamp in the Ibanez to make sure it quiets down too.