high-pitched buzz in one room, not in another...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by taylor16, Feb 2, 2014.

1. taylor16

taylor16 Thank you, Mr. Miner. Supporting Member

Unfortunately, in the room in my recently renovated house that I've dedicated to the "Man's Den", I've developed a very loud high-pitched buzz that isn't found when I've brought my bass/amp/cab to other rooms. I'm using a decent power bar with grounding so I've ruled that out. Used the same cable in each room test. Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Fluorescent lights? (Yech)
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's RF interference from some source. Shielding is needed. Start turning stuff on and off and you'll find the source. Dimmers, fluorescent lights and anything with a motor are common sources of RF.

Sometimes it's your amp if you're standing too close.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Does the noise go away or change volume when you touch ground (strings, jack body, etc.)? If so it's a shielding problem.

If not, does the noise change when you change orientation of the bass? In that case it's single coil noise.

Clearly something in that room is an electrical/magentic noise source as people have suggested. Turning off the noise source will stop the noise, but best is to try to fix the problem like with shielding if that is the kind of noise.
  7. taylor16

There are dimmers in the room. Quite a number of them, actually. As well, the buzz does improve when I touch my strings versus when the bass is not being played. The bass is has humcancelling pups so it's not a single coil issue. I'll have to see what happens when I use alternate lighting and not turn on the dimmer lights.

Thanks!
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

As bassbenj said, if your buzz goes away when you touch metal/strings/bridge you have a shielding issue, you need to give that bass a proper shielding job. You cannot completely remove the buzz but you can make it so negligible you will not complain or notice.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Agreed. But note that shielding is required because there is RF present. You have two issues, and need to deal with both. If shielding suppresses the buzz, then you're OK, but it wouldn't hurt to tackle the RF as well. You may benefit by looking for dimmers that emit less RF, or eliminating some dimmers for on/off switches.
  10. taylor16

I'm surprised about the shielding issue, though. The bass that I am talking about is a relatively new Sadowsky Metro which is otherwise impeccably built and from what I've read, has never had any quality issues in that regard. My Lull and Lakland Skylines don't have this problem...
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I don't have experience with Sadowsky but it IS a Fender clone, Fender insists 60hz hum is not a problem so it is possible they don't either. Heck many players and even techs think it is not a problem and you are just expected to hold the strings at all time. It is also possible that the shielding had a failure somewhere, I would be surprised if there was no sort of shielding in there.
  12. RSBBass

RSBBass

You may also want to get an outlet checker and make sure you electrical outlets are properly grounded. They cost around $5.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

What else is plugged in in the same circuit? I had required my bass and when I was done it buzzed like crazy. After tearing it apart again I realized it was the tv I had just set up in the basement on the same circuit.