Higher gauge D and G strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Backspacez, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Backspacez

Backspacez

I hate the thin, weak sound of the d and g string.

Basically, I was thinking, just get two slightly higher guage strings and use them... is there any flaws to doing this? Do any of you guys do this?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Have you tried raising the pickup height on the d and g side with your current strings?
  3. Backspacez

Backspacez

I haven't. That's a good idea, gonna try it right now!

Thanks
  4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I like .50 .70 .85 .105.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Backspacez

Backspacez

Just tried it, big improvement! Can't believe I didn't try that before. Thanks for the tip man, makes the strings sound more even, if that makes any sense.

I'd still like to hear your guys' experience with higher gauge D or G strings though.
  7. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

+1
  8. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Good to hear. But playing with a 50g and 70 d just makes me a happy player
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I'm currently using .55 .70 .90 .105 GHS Precision Flats. With the exception of maybe going down to a .50 G I can't play lighter D & G strings.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i gotta say i just assembled a homebrew set following d'addario's "balanced tension" spec and i like it a lot!

45-60-80-110 actually gives me close to equal tension on all 4 strings, instead of "normal" sets which have tight middle strings and a looser E.
  11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Contrary to popular belief, lowering the gauge will actually get you a fatter sound. This is becaues the string has less tension and is able to vibrate more freely, thus increasing the presence of the fundamental and lower-order harmonics.
  12. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

I use rotos 50 70 85 110 and blue steel 50 70 85 105. I've uses slinky power 55 75 90 110. Thicker strings will produce more bass. I always felt light strings sounded whimpy. Its a thicker sound BUT more tension, they feel way tighter. I've done this since 1998. I do play in Eb and D though. Also I use black beauties for my sabbath tribute 50 70 85 110 for Eb and C# tunings and they rule
  13. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    This.

Near-every G string IS a guitar string by design so you'll only ever get so good with it.
  14. jnprather

jnprather Supporting Member

This is good stuff. I'm in the middle of trying to decide the best gauge to use for a C#-standard metal project, and tuning my B-string (.125) up to C# is too boomy. Tuning my E (.105) down to C# is fatter, although its a floppy buzzy mess at the moment. I'll probably end up settling with something around .115/.118 for the E string and tuning down.
  15. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If the .125 is booming it may be too thin still - try a single .130 and see if that improves things.
  16. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Like I said I tune to C# for my sabbath tribute band and I use the black beauties 50-110 and the strings are not at all too floppy or rubbery. I never go out of tune either.
  17. jnprather

jnprather Supporting Member

Hmm. I was leaning towards getting something like the Circle K .118 4-string balanced set, leaving the old B string on there (save some $$ and not have to adjust the truss rod) and stringing it up that way. From tension charts etc it seems that something around .118 or so is about ideal for C#. But now you got me thinking!

(Sorry for the threadjack OP)
  18. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    True, i.e. a core with a single wrap unlike the other strings in a bass set...which has always been something that makes me nuts.

Besides Thomastik, do you or anyone know who makes a bass G string that is NOT like that?