1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Highway 1 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

2. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

That appears to be a Highway One (vs. a Highway 1). I'd be at about $450 for just the bass. He can keep the cable, tuner and practice amp.

3. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Yeah, they're discontinued. Don't let him pull that "$1,000 brand new" crap on you.
    I'm with Engine. The $400-$500 range is fair.
    They are pretty nice instruments.
    I owned a Highway One P that I really liked.

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Engine207

Yeagh, well...I'm in the $450 range because I won't pay too much for a bass on eBay. PT Barnum is alive and well on eBay. The OP's is asking about one on Craigslist. No fees, no PayPal. If I can get a MIA for $750, I'll not be paying the $600 for a Highway anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong...these are very nice basses. I had a beautiful '06, but I paid $625 for it new, and with a case.

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That was then, this is now.

BTW, the Highway basses were MIA.

8. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Left over MIA parts from the factory in CA, transported on Highway 1 and assembled in Mexico. I think, anyways...

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Wrong.

10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

$600 is high, and $450 is low. My Highway One P sold for $500 the day I put it up, and the Js are worth a little more.

Highway One basses are very good, and are MIA.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Way too much. I seriously doubt he paid that for it new. And yes, he can keep that other junk. ;)

Just to balance the inflated eBay price references, I got one of the last ones made, a 3CSB from the final batch, for $400, new in 2011 -- as did a lot of people here. I sold the BAII to a dealer for $120.

They're OK. The pickups are a MIM 58357/8 set, as opposed to the MIA 61276/7 set on the Precision. I switched to OVs because I was bored after the hand injury and got a deal, but it was a waste of time and money, really. Production routines are different on these than the other MIAs, but with some bench time I think I prefer this one to my American Standard...though I'm not really a J guy. Quick buff on the finish, vintage bridge and a Tortoiseshell pickguard and a lot of setup did it for me. I intended this to be a gigging bass, but I wrecked my hand a few days after I got it, so that was the end of that plan.

12. Engine207

Yes, thank you. I did happen to notice that stamp on the headstock during the couple of years I had it. :rolleyes:

However, when referring to Fender basses, the term "MIA" typically means "American Standard" regardless of the model (vs. "Made in USA"). Fender now markets essentially these same basses as "American Special" so they can work their country of origin into the name. If ever I see "MIA" - and it's a Highway (or a Special) - I immediately assume the seller wants me to think it is what it is not.

Regardless, if you believe $600 is a good price for a used Highway One, by all means pick up several.

13. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

I've had a number of Highway One basses. Solid instruments in every way. I like them for the nitro finish. I may change out necks, scratch plates, pups, whatever, until I have it exactly the way I wish. Hopefully the bass and amp are in the condition described. I don't care what some of these so called "experts" on this site say......$600 for that bass and amp IS a fair deal. That said - it has to speak to you. It ain't no good if it's just another piece of wood ;)

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I would say $500 is a great deal $600 is more in the ballpark.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Depends on what you want - when I was shopping for a P Bass last year, I specifically wanted a Highway One, for the slightly slimmer neck that still had posiflex rods, and the nitro'd body... I waited until I got a nice one for $500, but those are getting harder to find...

- georgestrings

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

I've never heard this.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

I've seen new American Standards for under $800 within the past year (Hello), and new American Specials under $600. That has to put a used HO at $600 into its proper perspective.

If people occasionally overpay for instruments that does not make it smart, nor something someone should recommend, nor does it establish market price.

Shop hard, people! The deals are out there.

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I'm with you. IMO, these are nicer than the American Specials. Graphite rods, american pups, the whole deal. If you can find a mint one like that for $600, I'd say that is a good deal, but throw in an 12" decent amp...I'd be all over that deal.

20. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Looks like a fair deal to me.

21. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

So what's the story then?
    I thought I read that somewhere.