1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

hilf mir! amp problems, is it my head or cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PhantomRising, Mar 8, 2014.

1. PhantomRising

PhantomRising

I've always used combo amps but am now switching to head/cab stacks. I have a Kustom 1200 watt head and Im using it with an acoustic 2/10 cab. They told me at guitar center there wouldn't be a problem, that the head would only be throwing out 400 watts to that cab. Im not even turning it up loud, just a tad since Im practicing at home with neighbours. Even so I can still feel plenty of hard bass power and I know turning it up louder would give me the awesome thunderous sound I like. But after a couple days, the bass power is suddenly gone. It still works and everything, but it doesn't give out any bass. sounds like a guitar with no distortion. I had this problem with the first head i tried. An ampeg 500 watts, i returned it thinking it was the head. I've switched out the speaker and instrument cables, and the Ibanez bass is new. Im suspecting its the cab. But I wonder if anyone has had this problem too and maybe it's something else. Maybe the guitar center employee lied about it being ok to use it with that cab. appearantly theres 3 levels, 400, 800, and 1200 watts it can give out.
    forgive me for being such a rookie :bag:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The Acoustic 210 is the problem. First, it's a 2x10, which is a fairly small sized cab to use standalone, and second, it's fitted with cheap spkrs. I'd be surprised if that cab could handle 200 watts of bass, let alone the power your amp has on tap. You need a bigger, better spkr cab if you want to play bass loudly.