Hillsboro/Beaverton: Anyone know where Doug went?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Argh! I just found out that the luthier I was using for setups no longer works at Five Star Guitars. Understandably, they can't or won't provide contact information. All I have is a first name - Doug. Does anyone in Hillsboro/Beaverton know how to get ahold of Doug? Thanks.

Anyone else have a good setup man to recommend in the area? I actually live in Newberg, so going all the way into Portland is kind of a pain.

My specific issue is general setup/neck shimming/fret dress/relief. Pretty basic stuff and not time sensitive (it's my backup bass and still playable as-is).

Thanks!

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

I have taken a lot of stuff there, mostly stuff beyond my abilities and Doug was the guy. It's been awhile and I didn't know he split. That's too bad because he was pretty good. He did some work on a 100 year old banjo that floats around among my family and it came out beautiful!

I would have no qualms about continuing to use Five Star for that kind of stuff. The other "techs" that were there seemed pretty competent.

3. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Yeah, I thought Doug was way above average and his prices more than fair, which is why I'm keen to use him again.

But it's not looking good. Usually, when a luthier moves on, someone knows where he went. It's like Doug dropped off the face of the earth. I hope he's OK.

Do you happen to know Doug's last name?

4. Immigrant

Immigrant

No, I don't know his name. They are pretty good up there about not giving out too much info like last names or phone numbers. They had another tech named Brian (who was trying to start his own luthiery biz on the side) who did some advanced work on stuff that Five Star didn't want to touch. He left also, and I had to convince them to call him and give him my phone number since they wouldn't give me his.

I believe the pricing there is dictated by the owner(s), so the setups will still be about the same cost.

I'm half tempted to PM you my phone number and I'll do your setups (but no fret dressing) for you, but I'm in no position to assume liability so eh eh. :p I live two minutes from Five Star.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Thanks for the offer. PM sent.