1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hipshot A & B bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chinjazz, Feb 15, 2013.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Hi, anyone know if the A style he adjustable bridges are worth the effort?

I'm building a modernish 5 string - MM pickup at the bridge and am on the fence between A & B.

I've never owned an A, but many B types.

Also, what's different between aluminum and Brass?

Thanks!
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I really like the A-style bridge as far as high-mass bridges go. It's pretty much perfect in terms of design and adjustability. I have a B-style on my fretless but I like the adjustable string spacing and the overall look on the A better.

Regarding aluminum versus brass, the differences are mostly speculative. The brass will be heavier. Whether or not that added density leads to an audible difference is debatable and difficult to quantify. The general consensus is that brass adds sustain and clarity while aluminum adds sustain and midrange focus. However I cannot verify these claims. I always choose brass for my high mass bridges or Leo's bent steel plate bridge.
  3. chinjazz

I always wondered about these things. I agree with you on the look of the A style. It looks sleek. I'll most likely get an an A style for my next bass. Thanks for the feedback!
  4. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

my bridge philosophy is that simpler is better. less moving parts means less can go wrong. and it would appear that the B style provides all the necessary adjustability...i mean, how often does one change the string spacing?
  5. chinjazz

IronLung1986, I like your philosophy from a player stand point. Since I'm building a bass for the first time an A style may afford me some wiggle room on slight misfortunes of my potentially goofed up routing or assembly. Essentially, if I do everything right, a B will be fine I'm sure :)
  6. zortation

zortation Distant relative of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson Supporting Member

I've used both. The "A" looks great but the "B" sounds better. To me The "B" seems to transfer more of the bottom end information from the string to the bass.

Less parts = moar tone
  7. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

oh I see! well best of luck with the build then!
  8. chinjazz

Thanks! We'll see.. I may put a B or A, depending on how it looks, but thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward the B because I always seem to stack tone on the top of my priorities above all else.
  9. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass

Have you compared an aluminum plate B with brass saddles to an all brass B?
  10. chinjazz

I ended up with an all brass (chrome) A due to a good deal found in the classifieds here. Looks awesome, but as I go I may have a chance to try a B style to compare, we'll see.