Hipshot bridge brass vs aluminum

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Hipshot makes an A style bridge out of Aluminum or Brass. There's only a few dollars difference in price.
    Is it possible to tell the difference in sound?
    Why would I choose one over the other?

2. pfox14

pfox14

I honestly don't know why they offer those two options only. My guess is brass is more expensive simply because brass itself is a more expensive metal than aluminum. I would doubt that you would be able to hear any difference between the two. Flip a coin.

3. lz4005

lz4005

All other things being equal, brass will be heavier.
    That may translate into a tiny bit more sustain than with the aluminum bridge.
    The difference in weight may also be enough to change the feel of how the instrument balances on a strap.

4. jaredkurtov

jaredkurtov

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: Kurtov Stringed instruments, West Asheville Lutherie
    I found that the aluminum version has more punch and the brass has more compression/sustain.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Aluminum Hipshots on all 3 of my Crook basses...slightly brighter sounding, better note definition, as opposed to the darker sounding brass bridges.

7. Immigrant

Immigrant

I've had both and the above observations are correct.

I think builders say brass on brighter sounding wood, aluminum on dark sounding wood.

Most useable bridge on the market IMO. They never have problems like many I read about here.

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I've A/B'd them on basses and found the aluminum gave the "vintage" tone well and the brass was "modern".

The functional aspect was that the aluminum had a more muffled, subdued tone that would be ideal for, say, classic rock, motown, reggae.

The brass was in your face with sustain for days. Great for metal, funk, punk, or that crystal-clear smooth jazz stuff.