Hipshot bridge for Epiphone Jack Casady Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wilson_D, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

Has anyone actually installed one of the Hipshot three-point replacement bridges on this bass. Kinda interested in trying if it has been done. Thanks.
  2. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

Well, I didn't get a response so I went ahead and ordered it. Called Hipshot first and they added two small felt pieces to the bottom of the bridge to stop any marring problems. Just finished installing it and it works great!! Will post pics if anyone is interested. It was a straight forward change out and was very easy to setup. Much better than the stock bridge. This thing really sings now.
  3. jackt64

jackt64

I know this is several months late but...Just got my JC Bass and I'd love to see a pic of what you did!
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I called Hipshot once for info and they were outstanding to talk with.

I'm also interested in seeing pix!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Same here, need pix.
  7. Pilgrim

I know I've read at least one thread showing a Hipshot on a Casady - google searching would probably find it.
  8. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

These are photos that the guy at Hipshot sent me of a JC they did at their shop for a show. my JC looks exactly like this. I had a camera issue which I will be taking care of next week. I can post photos of my JC then if you guys want to see it. Enjoy these in the meantime. :)

Wilson
  9. rockinrayduke

Cool, thanks. I'm installing mine tomorrow. I was under the impression that since the Casady is archtop that there would be a problem. Glad to know I have a use for the Supertone now.
  10. 49sfine

49sfine Supporting Member

I want to see pix of your bass.
  11. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

They put two small dots of felt on the back edge underneath so it can't mar the finish. They are about the size of a green pea in diameter. I'll take some picks of my bass this morning. I fixed my camera, so I'll get that done right now. I'll post them in a while.

Wilson
  12. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

subscribing..
  13. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

Ok everyone who is interested. Here are the pics of my JC as requested. If you look at the closeup of the bridge you can see the small felt pads. Other than those nothing else was done to add this bridge. Just a straight change-out and set it up. Then::bassist:

Attached Files:

• JC1.jpg
      JC1.jpg
      File size:
      73.4 KB
      Views:
    • JC3.jpg
      JC3.jpg
      File size:
      60.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

This is another view

Attached Files:

• JC2.jpg
      JC2.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  15. Pilgrim

How did the string height work out on the new bridge? Higher / lower / same as previous one?
  16. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

Very easy to set with the Allen screws. I set the string height to my liking, then did the intonation.

Wilson
  17. rockinrayduke

OK, just finished installing the Supertone and WOW. Much better. Thanks for the heads up and pics.
  18. Pilgrim

Can you define "much better"....?

More attractive?

Feels nice?

Adjustment options?

Audible differences?
  19. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

More attractive: I certainly think so!

Feels Nice: it almost alleviates the neck dive, if that was what you were thinking.

Adjustment options: Hands down over the top. The saddle screws are located on the back of the bridge, not the front like the original. The saddles adjust up and down with Allen screws, original you have to raise the entire bridge using the three main bolts.

Audible differences: The sustain is greatly improved IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Wilson
  20. Pilgrim

Very helpful indeed! Thank'ee.
  21. Rockit

Rockit

I've had one on my Epi LP Bass for a few years and I will be putting one on my TBird and Rumblekat at some point. It's added a lot more sustain and tone to that bass because of the mass and more of the bridge is in contact withe the bass body. Set up is better all around because you can adjust the individual string height and spacing. Some might argue the logic of putting a $100 bridge on a $300 bass but that bass does what I want and sounds great for what I do. I will be in the Market for a Jack Cassidy at some point, I really like those basses a lot.

The 3 Point bridge system is just obsolete, IMHO. I took my LP Bass to the local guitar guru in my area for some truss rod work, Jim Mouradian and he could not stop raving about that bridge (or the bass either) and this is a guy who's worked on some pretty famous peoples guitars like Joe Perry.

[​IMG]