Hipshot bridge for Grabber

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phoenix_crush, Jul 15, 2012.

1. phoenix_crush

phoenix_crush

I recently bought a Gibson Grabber and I'm looking to replace the bridge. I decided on a Hipshot style A. My question is- would the "Fender mount" version allow me to use some of the existing screw holes, or will I have to redrill all the holes no matter what?

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=306

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

If it is Gibson bent steel, through body bridge, You will need to drill new holes. They are slighlty offset from center due to the saddle arrangement and therefore the holes are off center. Take your time aligning it and get it right.

3. phoenix_crush

phoenix_crush

Should I just get the regular type A bridge then? And any tips for aligning the bridge? Thanks

4. 96tbird

I forgot to say that the A bridge isn't drop in for Fender either.

Place masking tape around the stock bridge. Mark position of center of the G saddle. Remove old bridge, (mail it to me, lol). Use a straight edge against the neck to mark the tapes, both sides; mark a center line on tapes using these neck lines as a guide. Set the G saddle on the Hipshot about an eight of an inch back, mark center of the bridge line up with g saddle mark on tape and center marks. Check through hole alignment. If all is good, mark holes and drill.

Order the bridge with appropriate string spacing, I think 18mm (.708") is correct, but measure to be sure.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phoenix_crush

phoenix_crush

Most websites don't let you choose the string spacing- I believe you can adjust it on your own. The Hipshot website is the only site that does, but it doesn't have metric sizes and there isn't one that is equivalent to 18mm.

7. 96tbird

The saddles are rollers that adjust side to side to where you need.

8. phoenix_crush

phoenix_crush

Alright, thanks. Do you think I would be better off with the normal type A, or the 5-screw, Fender one?

9. 96tbird

On my G3 I used a Carvin style, four hole. The screws came close to protruding into the slanted string through holes and I used shorter screws. Since I string through, the screw length isn't much of an issue. If you plan on top loading, you may want to consider a 5 hole to use longer screws if you get my meaning. The A bridge is dead gorgeous though, I'd suffer string through for just that reason.

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Hipshot does make an A style bridge with Fender 5 and 3 hole screw patterns.

11. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

I used to have a Grabber with a broken bridge, which I replaced with a Hipshot Type A. I had to drill new holes, even though the original is bent metal it's not Fender spec. It was fairly easy though, with some careful measuring and marking. I did it much as described above. I measured the existing string spacing and just picked the closest one.

12. phoenix_crush

phoenix_crush

I just ordered the 5 hole version along with new pickguard screws. I'll update when I install it.

13. 96tbird

cool, sorry about the five hole confusion on my part. I looked at Hipshot over a year ago and didn't know the five holer was available.

14. phoenix_crush

phoenix_crush

Today I installed the 4-screw bridge (apparently I ordered this instead of the 5-screw). It was very time-consuming and frustrating, and it probably isn't perfect, but it seems to work well and the intonation and string-spacing is good.

I'm glad I got the bass in rough condition because I would not have been able to drill so many holes in a bass in better condition.

15. RedRabbit

RedRabbit

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm about to add a Hipshot A to my '75 G-3 to replace the corroded bent plate style hand shredder that's on there now.

Here's where I'm stuck...
    I've measured the string spacing at .708 like mentioned above. However, I've seen a few sources online saying that you need the .678 spaced model. However, I don't think this is correct, but I may be wrong. Since they don't offer a .708 4 string model, I assume the best choice is the .718 model. Could someone enlighten me?

Now, has anyone noticed a sonic difference between using the different screw mounting options? Is there really a better suited one for the G-3?

Also, since my bass is all maple with a maple board, I'm thinking an aluminum bridge may lend itself to being way too bright. Am I right in thinking that brass is probably the better move here?

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!:bassist:

16. 96tbird

Send me your corroded hand shredder, I'll dispose of it properly for you; also the cover if you have it. Thanks.

I think the 687 is right. It has adjustable saddles so the E and G will be close to the edges. The bigger spread 718 likely they will be closer to the middle and just not look cool? What being big wide bridge with narrow string spread and all.

17. RedRabbit

RedRabbit

Thanks for the heads up!

Seriously, this bridge is totally gone and is probably the biggest weak point of this instrument line. The plate may be salvageable after a sand blast but that's probably it. I will let you know what I decide to do!

As for the bridge...I'm not concerned with looks as long as I get the right tool for the job. I do a fair bit of chording and the .708 string spacing is perfect for me. How far a spread can these bridges accommodate beyond their written specs?

Which string mounting style would you suggest as the best for the G-3 regardless of difficulty?

18. RedRabbit

RedRabbit

Just as a heads up to all you hurting G-3 and Grabber owners who need a new bridge and are having the same spacing troubles that I was.

I just got off the phone with Josh Borisoff at Hipshot and asked him what he suggested. He said ".708 string spacing is no problem" and that "custom work is our bread and butter." So I have a custom A hipshot coming my way for the same prices listed on their website.

Talk about customer service. Very excited to get a proper bridge on this girl for the first time.

19. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

I am very curious how your G3 turned out! I am looking to do the same thing with my G3, because it seems to lack a bit of sustain and life to it. My thoughts are replacing the infamous bend piece of metal might give it a better feel and help sustain. I had planned on trying a hipshot out.

So, how did she feel??

20. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Also, when I was looking at the Hipshot website, I noticed they had the SuperTone bridges specifically designed for the older Gibson basses(3-point style and "pre '73 style"). But it doesn't seem like the G3 "bent metal" design really fits any of those replacement styles.

So my question is, would the Hipshot A Style be the best replacement? or better suited for the Hipshot SuperTone?

21. 96tbird

You have the original string through, bent steel bridge? If you do swap, I'll buy the bent metal bridge from you. I swapped 33 years ago and lost the bridge. I've regretted swapping for about 23 years now.