1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hipshot bridges: A style versus B style

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Roscoe East, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Trying to decide on a bridge for a new Warmoth 5-string build. (Since this is a new, from-scratch build I don't need to get bogged down in the "will this sound better than a stock bent-plate bridge?" questions, I just need a bridge that will work reliably, and Hipshot seems to get good marks.)

So my question is: Presuming one doesn't want to take advantage of the A style's thru-body stringing capabilities, are there any other significant differences (functionally, or otherwise) between the A style and B style? Any reason to choose one over the other?
  2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I have the B style on all 3 of my Crooks, and I'm extremely pleased. I went with aluminum....a little less dark for tone, very focused, and the lightweight never hurts either.

As for function, very easy to restring and adjust when necessary.
  3. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

I have both A and B on multiple instruments, and the one functional difference I can think of is that the B style has adjustable string spacing. I've been pleased with all of my hipshot products.
  4. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

The previous poster is confusing the A-style with the B-style with respect to string spacing adjustment; it's in fact the A-style that has adjustable string spacing, not the B-style.

I have the A-style on one of my basses (and the Hipshot Transtone on the other), and it's a great bridge. I will say that the adjustable string spacing is useful for fine-tuning the setup, but I've never missed it on any bass that didn't have it. So in that respect, you could say that it's better to not have it, because it's one less part of the setup to potentially get wrong.

Also, if you're planning to top-load, I recommend that B-style. Top-loading on the A-style works, but if you have the strings low then there isn't enough downward pressure on the saddles, which causes them to wobble around a bit when playing hard, which in turn loosens the screws and causes the saddles to fall down. As you can imagine, this is a pain in the neck. The B-style bridge seems to have the entry points for the strings lower, which would increase downward pressure on the saddles.

I'd still choose the A-style if it was me, but that's because I'm a string-thru guy and would use that option. If I was forced to top-load, I wouldn't use a bridge that had the string-thru option because they seem to have higher entry points.