Hipshot D-tuner question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Truktek2, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

I was throwing my bass with a Hipshot D-tuner into a gig bag on the way to a rehearsal when a thought entered my mind.

Do you leave it closed in the E position, or open in the D position when transporting? I normally leave it in the closed E position, but then there is no load on the adjusting screw on the D-tuner.

Would this make it more prone to getting knocked out of tune? Should I leave it in the open D position (thereby leaving the adjusting screw loaded, making the screw harder to go out of tune?)

Does it matter? or would I be tuning the E and the D regardless when I got there. Damn random thoughts keep me up at night :D
  2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It doesn't matter.
  3. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

Never used a D-tuner, so I have a question about this; when using it a lot, does the E/D string get out of tune fast?
  4. Truktek2

Truktek2

Thanks Jauqo. Just out of curiousity, do you leave it open or closed? I should've made a poll.

Once it's in tune, It's ok. It's a little finicky getting both the E and D spot on. There's a video on youtube that shows you how to tune it. You have to set up the E a little flat, other than that it's fine, I was more concerned with it going out of tune while transporting
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oysteivi

oysteivi

I transport it in the E position (closed) and I've never noticed the adjustment screw move because of it.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I transport mine in whatever position it was last in. I really do not think it matters and I have never had issues with mine.
  8. dmac1961

dmac1961

I transport mine in E, but it really doesn't matter. With a gig bag, you'll be tuning anyhow once you unbag it.
  9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Sure there is.
    Or should be...
    You have a single-stop D-Tuner, yes?
    Does yours not have the coil spring on the tuning thumscrew?
    That's what it's for...

On a double-stop DTuner, the 'middle note' adjusting sccrew has no tensioning spring, but its thread is intentionally a little tighter for this reason.

Picture from Hipshot site, modified to show the tensioning coilspring...

Attached Files:

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

You're welcome. I leave the D-tuner closed.
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Mine are closed afaik. I also don't think it matters. I've honestly never given it a thought
  12. 20db pad

20db pad

I've transported basses with Hipshots always in the closed position for around 20 years. No problems or issues at all, even with the ones that are 20 years old.