Hipshot detuner

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by BFonbass, Feb 20, 2012.

1. BFonbass

BFonbass

Hello,
    I recently purchased a hipshot Detuner for my 83' fender p bass. My question is weather you tune the E string down to D or if you just flip the detuner, should the other 3 strings stay in tune? The problem I am having is when I flip the Detuner my A,D & G are all out just a little but out indeed. Am I doing something wrong or should this be expected because of the less tension on the neck.
    Sincerely, Brian

2. dmonroe

dmonroe

You have some other problem if flipping the Detuner is effecting the tuning on your other strings. None of them should change at all.

3. BFonbass

BFonbass

Yea I think maybe it is my bridge thank you though, i appreciate your quick response to my question! I didnt think that should happen.
    Sincerely, BFonbass

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

hey brian-

dmonroe is right. there must be something else going on. i don't have any basses with a hipshot, but i've never seen that happen on my buddies' instruments so-equipped. it even seems strange to me that your bridge would be affected by it; however, maybe there is some issue with tension and relief on your neck that is being exacerbated by the changing string tension when you activate the hipshot. it almost sounds as if the hipshot tension change is somehow affecting the relief on the neck...? let us know what you find out!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFonbass

BFonbass

Hello guys,
    Thank you for your input. I did take it to my buddy's shop and he kept it for a day and made a couple of adjustments and it is working excellent now!
    Sincerely, Brian

7. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

I have to disagree. Changing the tension of one string can affect the others. Each strings individual tension contributes to the overall tension exerted on the neck.

Reducing the tension of one string (drop tuning) will allow the neck to pull the remaining strings (ever so slightly) sharp.

An extreme example is when you break a string. You'll notice your remaining strings will go sharp.

This tendency is minimized by a stiffer neck and exacerbated by a less rigid neck.

8. adamnitti

adamnitti

bitterdale, that's what i was thinking in my reply, as well when i was referring to the hipshot's change in tension influencing neck relief and subsequently, the tuning.

bfonbass, i'm curious as to what types of adjustments would have eliminated your problem? do you know what your buddy did to fix?

9. hip63

hip63

I've used hipshots for 20 years never had a problem with the other strings losing tune, rock solid performance always.

But I could see where a really weak neck could maybe (no weak necks here I guess).

hip63 :p