1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hipshot Supertone question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Squawk, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

So I ordered the Hipshot Supertone for my SG Special. I've read where it can leave a footprint and mess up the finish. Anyone have a solution to this? Felt, washers etc.

Thanks

2. Squawk

Squawk

Anyone have any experience with this product?

3. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

Most bridge plates will make an imprint in the wood. I don't know anyway to avoid this that would not disturb the resonance.

4. mongo2

mongo2

With an SG flat solidbody style I'd add a washer or two to each ferrule to raise the bridge clear of the surface. If properly sized washers weren't readily available I'd use the small round adhesive cork pads I bought at Lowes (near the furniture glides) as I did on my Jack Casady archtop. I put one pad near each corner screw and one pad on either side of the center ferrule.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Squawk

Squawk

I'm assuming you mean a nylon or rubber washer and not metal ones? Sorry. Kind of new to electrics.

7. panamonte

panamonte

It's only really a problem if you're planning to refit the original bridge at some point in the future. I replaced the 3 point bridge on my Thunderbird with a Supertone and found it to be a huge improvement in terms of being able to adjust the string height and intonation. I don't have any intention of putting the original bridge back, so even if the nitro finish has been marked by the Supertone, it's pretty irrelevant.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Either would work but nylon washers would protect the finish on the metal. I'd avoid rubber washers.