Hipshot three string retainer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superhand, Nov 24, 2009.

1. superhand

superhand

I just ordered one of these, received it yesterday, and I want to install it on my MIM Jazz.

My question is where exactly should I place it? Does it really matter? I mean its going to end up somewhere between the E and A strings but does it matter if it is a few millimeters one way or the other?

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=236

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

I put mine smack in the middle of the E and A tuners. But it's not critical.
    To install, place the strings through it, then loosen them enough that you can push it down to the headstock, but keep enough tension in the strings that they guide it to the correct location. Mark the holes with a Sharpie. Then punch the centers with something sharp, and drill carefully, being sure to stay on the center marks. If you goof, the retainer will end up crooked and it's really easy to see this.

3. line6man

line6man

[​IMG]

Works fine for me.

You just need to position it so that you get a good downward string tension on the nut.

4. superhand

superhand

Thanks guys, thats pretty much what I had in mind.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. superhand

superhand

Happy Turkey day first of all, and I just wanted to follow up, I got my string retainer installed today and it definitely is an improvement. The A string was the only string I was having a problem with and this fixed it. It gives me a much better break angle off of the nut, which gives the A string a better tone, especially when played open. I was getting some vibrations before and this fixed it.

I have a couple questions though, should I lubricate the string retainer to prevent string breakage? I do this on my guitars, but is it necessary for the bass? If so what should I use? I use chapstick on my guitars.

Second question is, what would be the easiest way to fill in the hole left from the screw of the original string retainer?

Attached Files:

7. superhand

superhand

What kind of neck is that? It looks sweet.

8. line6man

line6man

I don't lubricate mine, and I have never had any issues with it, but I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't lubricate it if you wanted to, so I guess go ahead and lube it.

I use this stuff on my nuts:
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/GHS-GraphitAll-Guitar-Lubricant?sku=423700

9. line6man

line6man

It's a Warmoth neck.
    The neck is Padouk, and the fingerboard is Pau Ferro.

10. David Jayne

David Jayne