Hipshot Ultralights.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 20, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Today I sent away for a set of 4 Hipshot HB6c-1/2 tuners. ($68 out the door!) I plan to use them for my 5 to 6 string conversion project for my SDAJV bass. It seems that I need to replace only 4 tuners (E,A,&G) to make room for the C string tuner. I think I can leave the B & D tuners in tact. The Hipshots have Fender-style clover keys, should look good.

Is there anything to be gained by spending another 55-60 bucks more for only two more similar tuners purchased separately? What's the big deal about tuner weight? They don't seem that heavy to begin with!
  2. bassteban

bassteban

Wots an SDAJV bass?
  3. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I think it stands for Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V. They have a wide nut, and are popular to add an extra string to. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
  4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

That's correct! Are those dang Hipshots that good? There just tuners, & I'm replacing them to make room for the 6th tuner on the back of the headstock, as they have a smaller footprint.
  5. elBandito

elBandito

Hipshot tuners feel super smooth when turning, but they don't fit fender style basses too well. Ultralite stems are way too short and look retarded on big fender headstocks. Bushings on ultralites and HB3 tuners were way too small for fender peg holes. I got rid of ultralites and had to buy fender bushings to fit the HB3. What a waste of resources. Why do they make stuff that don't fit.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yep. I have two sets on my computer table which I'll be installing on my Schack and Cliff Bordwell fivers. Note: it's easier to adjust the tension before installing on the headstock as the real estate can get crowded quickly.

Edit: these are 3/8" and direct replacements for Gotohs. I cannot speak with any authority on Fender products or sizing issues.

Riis
  7. bassteban

bassteban

They are indeed nice tuners.
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

A little bit of weight way out on the end of the neck can make the difference between a bass that neck dives and a bass that doesn't.

If you look at the neck as a lever, any weight way out at the end of the lever has a huge effect. If you are adding a tuner to your neck you may want to reduce weight as much as possible because it could make it neck heavy.
  9. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Are you talking about the neck/body weight distribution? Yeah, the body's basswood & it's markedly heavier than the neck. Room to spare. I did decide to by a set of four Ultralights. I am going to add one, replace three (E,A & G) & keep the B & D (top & bottom) tuners, as they aren't in the way of adding the sixth tuner. Maybe later I'll replace them. Thanx all!
  10. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Also, these are H6C's. (Not 3's. They're suposed to look close to the original Fenders, but they haven't arrived yet.