Hipshot Ultralite tuner question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcburn, Feb 6, 2013.

1. jcburn

jcburn

Hi everyone. Is it possible to take these tuners apart and reverse them like you can the vintage tuners?
    The reason i ask is I have the chance to buy a very cheap 5 inline set, but essentially I need 4+1. I wont be able to return them once bought.
    Cheers.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the US Ultra's can be reversed easily with just the appropriate sized hex key. It was brought to my attention that the licensed imports can also be reversed but the procedure requires a dowel (or something similar) to knock-out the seemingly-fixed washer.

Riis

3. CaballoViejo

CaballoViejo

Yes, it is possible. You just need the right sized - very small - Allen (hex) key.

4. jcburn

jcburn

OK thanks folks. I'm assuming the hex key is for the bottom end of the tuner?
    At any rate it will be the US ones I purchase, not the licensed ones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

That's correct...it's at the opposite end from the tuning key. There are 3 components: socket head cap screw, nylon washer, metal washer. As mentioned, find / use the appropriate hex key. "Close enough" won't work as it is quite easy to round-out the socket (ask me how I know!). Addt'l tip: scrap the old thread sealant from the threads and re-apply blue Loctite when re-inserting. Allow to cure for a few hours before replacing / tuning up strings. Sounds a bit extreme but this has provided the best results for me.

Riis