hired gun (sorry-not-sorry)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Dec 7, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

This is the first band I've walked away from where it was actually really hard to think of giving them up...I enjoyed playing with them and they're really nice people, but I've hit this turning point (tipping point? ha) in my life where honestly, I want to be a "hired gun" and I want to make money. I realize not everyone aspires to this...but I do and I'd rather just SAY that than get involved with people who don't have the same goals as I do.

So, I decided I'd be better off simply going after that and focusing on my personal goals as a bassist, than staying with a project that doesn't pay, even though it was fun. The band was very surprised but I made it clear that this was nothing personal against them and offered to play the next couple of gigs until they find a replacement, if necessary, since I kinda caught them off-guard.

In the meantime, I'm working on my online presence and recording some new demo tracks this weekend, and I have a cover band audition tomorrow night. If any of you have any wisdom to impart upon me when it comes to making money off this, please feel free to share whether in this thread or via private message. You know, how you started, what your policies are, what your invoices might look like, some of the positive experiences you've had. I feel like so much of what I read in the Band Management forum is about "bad breakups" so it would be nice to read some happier posts!

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

know/learn lots of tunes
    be an on-the-fly fast study
    be available and affordable

And don't stare at your fret board - look up and SIMILE!!!

3. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Don't waste time on bands that aren't already making money.

4. Desirsar

Desirsar

So you're willing to play with a pick if a paying gig asks? :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. s4001

s4001

Joe's advice is spot on. However, it's unlikely (not impossible) that you'll be quitting your day job for it. You'll expand your sphere of friends and have some GAS money.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    If you show up on-time, prepared, sober, ready to play, and drama free you will be ahead of 95% of your competition.

8. SoCalBassman

SoCalBassman

I hear ya, hernameisrio.
    My musicianship has to have purpose to be meaningful to me. Playing for the fun of it IS FUN but, as busy as I am, I don't see the point of sitting around plinking just for fun. If I'm not moving forward I'm stagnating. Ever since my clubbing days I have never found purpose in getting together for the sake of just jamming. It sounds hardnosed but that's just my thing. Even at the age of 53 and having been playing for 38 years I'm still a student and have lots left for the future.
    Be as versatile as you can and you'll get more jobs.
    Do whatever you can to advance your skills.
    Stay positive.

9. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

That is the way I've gone. No long term relationship with 100gigs booked out. I have a few groups I help out. They call if I'm free I play. I know their stuff I'm on time don't Over indulge can sing back up or cover lead singing if needed. I make a few bucks they pick me up. Life is great.

10. theduke1

Oh and my gear never fails me. If something gives me grief it is repaired or replaced before I step stage.

11. theduke1

I'm always ready I play every day learn song and styles new to me sometimes learning is n more fun than the gig. 61.5 years young still jamming
    Rock on
    Love & Peace

12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Big +1 to everything theduke said. I'm at the same place. No commitment and the phone rings off the hook. I take the shows I want and turn down the ones I don't. They all know my terms and conditions (and minimum fees). All that flexibility and I still play more than I really want to. I should have done this years ago. I'll probably never join a band again (unless I start my own). Band drama is for the birds. Hired gun is where the money and flexibility is. Plus you get to play all kinds of music with lots of different people. And the second you run into any drama you simply (calmly) suggest that they lose your phone number.
    Why anyone would be a full-time member of a band is beyond me. Musicians are weirdos. (Insert winky smiley thingy of your choice here).

13. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Duh! :D

14. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

two_fingers, I like your philosophy and I agree with you. So what sorts of gigs have you had? Do you travel a lot?

15. theduke1

I am unable to use a pick because I am left-handed playing righhanded. So they get what I can do. I've never had any problems covering what was needed.

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

LOL. That's to funny. :D

:hyper::bassist::hyper:

17. PAC

PAC Banned

You gotta be there for one of two reasons. Fun or profit. Run it as a business and you should have no trouble.

Paul

:bassist:

18. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

I guess I am a hired gun in a band hybrid. I am a hired gun/sub for 3 bands and I have 3 other projects that I am a "part of."being able to play well is the first thing... Being on time with pro gear and not messing your schedule up number 2. Learning lots of musical styles 3. Its a fun way to go and I have had only one gig free weekend since august...

19. theduke1

Joe Locale
    Why do you find my inability to us a pick funny? We all have our shortcomings that just happens to be mine.

20. theduke1

21. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

What he said