History Channel - Vikings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unprofessional, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Anybody else watching this soap opera set in the year 796?

It's never a good thing when your pregnant girlfriend shows up at your house to meet your wife.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I love this show. I was super stoked for last nights season opener. I like how it picked up right where last season left off.

-Mike
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Starting a marathon of season 1 with the wife tonight before starting season 2. I saw the first season as they aired, she hasn't seen it yet.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I love the show.

I was kind of disappointed when Lagertha didn't put on her shield maiden outfit and kick his butt like she did when she wanted to go on the second raid with him.

[​IMG]
  5. MJ5150

The Lagertha storyline this season looks way cool.

I don't know what to make of Rollo. He was my favorite character last season. Now I like Jarl Borg.

-Mike
  6. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Looks like the cast of Sons Of Anarchy all got in a time machine. I'm sceptical, to say the least...

Oh, and "Lagertha"? "Rollo"? "Borg"? Yeah, those are some really norse sounding names... :rolleyes:
  7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

These people would destroy the SOA crew unless they used their machine guns.

Hand to hand the shield maidens would wipe them out.

Lagertha was a shieldmaiden from Norse legend.
    Bjorn is Swedish. I know a lot of Swede and Icelandic guys with that name.
    Rollo was a powerful Viking leader according to legend.
  8. DeathFromBelow

Yeah, I'll give you that. SOA; the laughing stock of the motorcycle world. :D
  9. MJ5150

Weird. I have no issue with the names they use on the show. I thought they were all quite appropriate.

They can't name everyone Leif. :)

-Mike
  10. DeathFromBelow

Yeah. But Bjorn Borg was a tennis player.

Rollo is a latin translation of Hrolfr/Rolf.

Lagertha is a latin translation of Hlaogeror/Hladgerd.

Vikings did not speak/write latin.

But I guess they sound better in "Hollywood-speak". :D

Regards, Tore (Warrior/priest of Thor), an actual viking. ;)
  11. ZenG

ZenG

Most boring show I ever watched..only slightly higher on the food chain than Duck Dynasty.

But then there's 3 kinds of shows I hate :-

(a) anything about Vikings
    (b) anything about vampires
    (c) anything about zombies

all snoozefests as far as I'm concerned....but....everybody's different ...so go ahead and enjoy.....
  12. squirefan

squirefan

I just don't like the fact that all my favorite documentary-type channels have gone either Hollywood or 'reality' shows.
    But that's just me...if you enjoy it, by all means enjoy!
  13. kyrk01

kyrk01

Lets get lame . How about Viking pawn stars?
  14. Einherjar

Einherjar

I haven't gotten to watch this yet, but I should. My great grandpa's name was Gunleik Aslakson Listug. VIKINGS! Lol.
  15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I don't have cable, so I'll have to catch it when it gets on Netflix or Hulu or something. I'm actually teaching a course on Vikings this term and my students are constantly talking about it. Sounds like a cool show.
  16. Never heard of the show, but the image was interesting. So the vikings have discovered washing machines, detergents, scissors (to trim the hair and beards) and obviously apart from rape and pillage, they're into sanitation and hairdressers? If you look at period movies from the 1800s everyone is filthy - these 'vikings' would appear to be somewhat different to how history shows them. Probably good fun though - kind of the Viking version of Dallas.
  17. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

The show is OK, IMHO. My wife and I have been watching since the very first episode. It's interesting, but you have to remember this is a Hollywood take on Nordic life. There is a lot of artistic license taken, for sure.

It's sort of a PG-13 version of "Game of Thrones" set in a historic setting, really.
  18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

There have been scissors and razors since ancient times. Medieval people could (and did) scrub themselves down in a stream from time to time even if they didn't have hot running water and soap. Clothes, on the other hand, did tend to get worn till they wore out. MANY texts of the era stress the handsome and fashionable appearance of warriors. One of my favorite images from the 7th century to show students is this one...

[​IMG]

The big old sword is obvious, but what is this fearsome warrior doing with his LEFT hand...?

Combing his hair.
  19. edpal

edpal Thread enda or defenda - makes me no neva mind. Gold Supporting Member

Can't believe he had the stones to suggest an "arrangement". !Snap that would have been hot. I personally think Lagertha is much sexier than the new g/f ..... I'm not into the new chick at all.

Those are all historical or legendary characters from that area, particularly Lagertha. Wife and I have been watching this show from the start and have argued over everything from the spelling of the names to what occurred 2 episodes back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagertha
    Lagertha was, according to legend, a Danish Viking shieldmaiden from what is now Norway, and the onetime wife of the famous Viking Ragnar Lodbrok. Her tale, as recorded by the chronicler Saxo in the 12th century, may be a reflection of tales about Þorgerðr Hölgabrúðr, a Norse deity.
    Her name as recorded by Saxo, Lathgertha, is likely a Latinization of the Old Norse Hlaðgerðr (Hladgerd).[1] It is frequently rendered in English-language sources as "Lagertha", and has also been recorded as Ladgertha, Ladgerda or similar.
  20. edpal

edpal Thread enda or defenda - makes me no neva mind. Gold Supporting Member

NAh man, that is Ragnar stabbing himself in the eye, "crap,crap,crap, SHE is here! Why can't what happens in Borgland stay in Borgland?"