1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

History of our Northern Neighbors

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 12, 2012.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Calling all Canadians:

Some of you may know that I'm back and forth across the Canada/US border for work, and that work entails demonstrating chocolate history. Well, knowing US history, I can easily intertwine chocolate history with American history.

However, I don't know JACK about Canadian history. Can anyone recommend a book or two, or even better audiobooks that will provide a solid background in the history of Canada?

I have to say, from what I've read, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. I'm just downright curious!
  2. stratovani

stratovani

Canadian chocolate history? Two bars come to mind - Aero Bars, and Coffee Crisps, Canada's gifts to the world (other than poutine and Rush, of course)! ;)
  3. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

Bare Naked Ladies.
  4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Back bacon and Rush
  5. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

The single most important Canadian contribution to mankind is Bob and Doug McKenzie's album with Geddy Lee contributing backing vocals.
  6. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Canada has a very rich and cool history, especially French Canada IMO.

http://www.canadahistory.com/

And guess who invaded us and burned down the White House?

DAMMIT CANADA WE STILL OWE YOU FOR THAT ONE!!!
  7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Just watch a few episodes of South Park.
  8. ashbory

ashbory

Laura Secord was probably the most important figure in Canadian chocolate history.
  9. Richland123

Richland123

I like those candy bars and I don't even like coffee. Coffee Crisps are now sold in the U.S. and Hershey now makes a candy bars similar to the Aero. Three other favorites of mine I can only get in Canada are Cadbury Burnt Almond Dark Chocolate bars, Crunchie bars, and Mr. Big bars.
  10. Grabow

Grabow

Check out Laura Secord, they are a confectionary chain named after a famouse Heroine of the war of 1812
  11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Applications Engineer, QSC Audio
    Are there any Canadian chocolate bars that are made to look like a hockey puck? There's got to be, right?
  12. Richland123

Richland123

I just found this.

Men busted at the Canadian border for illegal candy
    RYAN GORMAN
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012
    Two men were recently detained at the border for unwittingly smuggling something a little out of the ordinary - illegal candy.

Brandon Loo and Christopher Sweeney, both of Seattle, picked up some Kinder Eggs in Vancouver before heading back south without realizing they were illegal.

"We packed it in the back of the car because we weren't going to eat them," Loo told KOMO.

Their six egg stash was found during a routine inspection of their car by border police.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Oooh, confection smugglers.
  14. fraublugher

fraublugher

QUOTE=Bob Lee (QSC);13573030]Are there any Canadian chocolate bars that are made to look like a hockey puck? There's got to be, right?[/QUOTE]

Nanaimo bars , but they're square 'cuz they're from BC.

When I think canadian chocolate nanaimo bars come to mind , but they aren't a hershey or other
    chocolatier "brand" , they're always homemade.

Oh wait the hockey puck is the "joe louis" don't know about the joe spelling change that's new to me

[​IMG]
  15. fraublugher

fraublugher

The eggs were made illegal because the toy inside was a choking hazzard /darwin control.
  16. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

17. Richland123

Richland123

I have some of those Kinder egg toys from long ago when I bought those chocolate eggs for my kids for Easter. I understand those toys are very collectible. They still sell Kinder eggs in Canada but they were never sold in the U.S. as far as I know.

Here is more information about Kinder eggs.

http://www.ferrero.com/products/the-most-famous-products/kinder-surprise/surprise-play-chocolate/

Nanaimo bars are incredibly good. Lots of bakeries make them in Canada. I have a Robin Hood brand packaged mix to make them I bought in Canada but not the same as homemade Nanaimo bars.
  18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Disclosures:
  19. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

20. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

My Northern New York ancestors bailed out of Quebec when they lost the Papineau rebellion. Is that history ?