History of the guitar solo.. I enjoyed this

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankieC, Feb 2, 2014.

1. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

2. Michedelic

Michedelic

This is total crap. There were plenty of 'solos' in 50's/early 60's rock, although, yes many were simplistic or just mimicked the melody line, but they were there. While Chuck Berry was constructing the basic DNA of rock guitar(the video guy totally blew it on 'Johnny B. Goode', BTW), there were contributions from Moore, Perkins, Gallup, Burlison, Holly, Cochran, Burton and stuff that trickled down from Kessel, Paul, Atkins, Bryant, and a host of Nashville session guys. Not to mention Wrecking crew members Tedesco, Pitman, and Campbell getting it done on countless one-shot surf singles AND Beach Boys tracks(and beyond). In the video, they mistake 'riffs' for solos, and are out of synch, chronologically. As far as 80's/90's examples are concerned, a lot of them missed the mark/are irrelevant. Granted, I realize that these guys were in diapers when "Nevermind" came out, and everything is open to interpretation, but they really should have done their homework before presenting something this smug.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I thoroughly disliked their "history of bass" as well.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R

I was entertained.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Although the historical accuracy is BS, at best, it is a fun look at the history of the guitar solo. I really don't believe that it is intended to be an accurate history, but simply a fun little video. I took it in that vein, and found it to be very enjoyable.