Hit Me With a Tremolo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by necropain, Nov 24, 2012.

1. necropain

necropain

I'm lookin for a trem that will get me some really smoothe non choppy trem sounds not like Juan alderete but more smoothe
  2. MADChuudoku

MADChuudoku

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roland/Boss, Darkglass Electronics, Fuzzrocious
    Fuzzrocious Tremorslo has that fat throb thing about it
  3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

The only tremolo I own is not what you want, and I haven't used any of the following pedals, but I believe they are the most versatile units available:

1. Empress Tremolo

2. Guyatone Ultrem

I recommend searching youtube and talkbass and the manufacturers' websites to get a better idea what they can do. They both have tap tempo. In my opinion, any modulation pedal must have tap tempo, otherwise you will be out of sync with the rest of the band.

Both pedals are on the pricey side, but I can't think of any other tremolo units that have so many options (maybe the tremolo settings on the Eventide Mod factor). Do you want a tremolo that will do everything? Or will you be happy with something simpler? Simple will likely save you some money and space on a pedal board (they are both have a fairly large footprint).

I have the Guyatone Ultron, which has nearly identical features, but it's an auto-wah. You can select from five wave forms. You can use an expression pedal to control almost anything (for example, you could control the speed with your foot, going from slow to fast in real time, which sounds pretty wild). The tap tempo works just like your standard tap tempo. However, you can also set it to double or quadruple the speed. This allows you to achieve extremely fast speeds in perfect time that you couldn't tap out with your feet. It also runs at 9V 200mA, so you can use the included wall wart, or pretty much any power supply. As you can tell, I really like what the Guyatone can do.

I can't give you any advice on simpler, less expensive units. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some quality pedals that will work for you. It all depends what you want to do and what your budget is.

Good luck! I hope you find exactly what you want.
  4. Rip Frisket

Rip Frisket

I use the Fulltone Supa Trem. The selling points for me were the size of the knobs. You can adjust it while your standing. And the L.E.D. pulses in the same rhythm of the trem. It can do both choppy and smooth with a wet and dry mix.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I've tried a few terms but that best one considering footprint and overall controls is the MSLP Tremolazer. No bigger than a Boss pedal yet has 6 controls and 2 waveforms! Lots of trem goodness from slight warble (has a mix from 100% dry- 100% wet) to full on C-H-O-P-S. can do off time tremolo, swell tremolo, volume flacuation terms and loads more. Only thing missing is tap-tempo but has an LED that blinks with the rate so I'm set!
  7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Dr. Scientist's The Tremolessence - small footprint, you can control both the shape or rate with an expression pedal, and you can switch it between a choppy square wave or a smooth sine wave...which sounds like that's what you're after.

This guy has a pretty in-depth demo on bass you can check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjMvIUBXgI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  8. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Any opinions of the Micro Pulsar?
  9. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

i would say wait for the NAMM before buying any new pedals, lots of pedal launches are next year, and also Source Audio is making a new pedal called Orbit Modulator which has a tremolo on it, having own SA product i know they wont disappoint us.
  10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Hey man sorry for sidetracking a bit, what is that thing on top of the hardwire pedal, seems like a control for the knob of the pedal, anyone know where i can get them?
  11. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah, the Tremolessence is amazing.
  12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Just picked up a used MXR Tremolo, 18 v thing sounds pretty good. An LED flashes in time with the tempo, and there are no tempo subdivisions. I noticed that where the light turns on is not at the peak volume, but more like 1/2 way through the cycle, so it hits peak volume half-way through the LED lit period, and min volume 1/2 way through the dark period. Odd. I was synching by sound and wound up being off from the blinking LED. I'll try it at a few gigs and let you know how it goes, but for $99 I couldn't pass it up. I was able to dial in a facsimile of the "Heartbreaker" tone very quickly, and that's mostly what I want, rather than being beat synched with it.
  13. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

Love my Hardwire Tremolo pedal, hard to beat for the price I paid..$79 at Musicians Friend. One day I'll probably get a Tremoloessence though when I can justify the price :)

That disc in that video is a Kick Disc!
    http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1074
  14. necropain

necropain

I currently already own a really C-H-O-P-P-Y trem aka the trem/pan that boss makes and juan alderete uses its a great pedal but with the band i am in i need a really smooth trem which is why the trem/pan is not on my bored it is way to choppy

also i am looking for something thats not too expensive

and thirdly i hate mxr pedals sorry to all mxr lovers i'm just not a fan, but im not opposed to the idea that mxr could make something i like just im not a fan of any of the pedals they currently make thats all
  15. metaball

metaball

I have an old 2 knob Voodoo Trem I picked up for $50 a few years back. Very smooth vanilla Tremolo. I hear good things about the new 4 knob ones as well. There was a batch of those a few years back with bad switches though, so keep an eye out if you buy one used.
  16. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

It's been a while since the Pulsar was on the radar around here, but my recollection was that it would have a volume drop when engaged, but otherwise was a serviceable simple tremolo.
  17. amfmsb

amfmsb

I'll be the jerk who ignores your "not too expensive" criteria and suggest the Moog ring mod. That thing does buttery smooth volume swells (tremolo) as well as what it's name suggests.
  18. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

+1. I just got two Moog EP-2s to run my Tremolessence; the fades and changing of rates is absolutely awesome. I can fade into pulses or add a little movement/wabble whenever I want. And the customer service is stellar.