Hiwatt experts, help me out!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Michedelic, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic

came across this:
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/4358711955.html
    While I realize the brand has had ups and downs with multiple owners/manufacturers through the decades(and I certainly haven't kept up on the details), something about this one in particular looks a bit hinky. Only two input jacks, no lettering on the back panel, the gap between the top of the chassis and the control panel cut-out on the front, and then the price, while I'm not complaining, just seems a bit too good. Where does this particular amp fit in the chronology? Could it be a Music Ground fake, or something from the Fernandes era? Would this be all-purpose enough for bass anyway? Thanks.:confused:

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The back panel just doesn't look right to me. A gut shot would be more conclusive as evidence.

3. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    I'm affraid it is not legit... It's so full of wrong..

Handle not original.
    The piping looks silverplated. but it should be White.
    Back panel not original.
    One of the transformers placement is wrong.
    Logo is not original.
    etc

4. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

The head shell seem to be from a Sound City. Later MK4 era Sound City. It could be a Sound City that has been converted to a Hiwatt by circuit, but definitely not a real Hiwatt. It looks to me like a Sound City 150 from the one original transformer, but even then the other tranny is a replacement, among other things, so I see absolutely no value in that amp. Shame. It would have been better kept a Sound City than tried to pull of a Hiwatt.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Forrrest

Forrrest

750$ for partridge transformers & a clone is a good price
    If it sounds good buy it!
    I would!

The head sleeve might just be a re-issue sleeve. not something to fuss about at that price. (usually these sell 3000$)
    i have a '71 DR201 that got re-sleeved. pics http://imgur.com/a/N3Dlo

edit to add: I never run mine with the back panel on, it just gets so HOT so it needs to be as well ventilated as possible.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Those aren;t Partridge transformers. Might have been a Sound City 150, which are really nice amps, but its basically, one transformer saying that.

8. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

A real DR201 will fetch a good price, the one in question I don't believe to be a real DR201. I personally wouldn't give even $100 for that, judging by the pictures/ad. I would, however, go check it out and open it up to see what it really is. Pretty sure this is just a fugly Sound City 150 with replaced parts. And I've gotten too many Sound City amps at under $500 that I wouldn't spend more than that even if it turns out to be a good 150 hiding underneath all that.

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Might want to check up current sound City prices.

10. Forrrest

Forrrest

how much do sound City now go for?

and you're right, the little we do see of the transformers - they don't look like partridge.

11. bb5000

bb5000

The DR201 has a Power light plus a Standby light, not a single pilot light like the DR103, and it usually has 4 inputs

12. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

if this is the same amp I inquired about a year ago, transformers are fake. i must've deleted the pics already,that was sent to me, but from what i remember instead of a yellow partridge label it was a white label with black lettering and the part number of the real partridge tranny on it. some of the inners didn't exactly slide with me either, so i declined on proceeding with the transaction. glad i did because i picked up a 2009 :hyper:

13. lowend1

lowend1

The DR201 will typically say "Hiwatt 200" on the control panel (not "Custom 200") and the logo plate should be attached with rivets.