Hobby bands comments

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sm49341, Nov 9, 2013.

1. sm49341

sm49341

I met another musician today and we get to talking about our bands. I tell him our cover band is a bunch of guys with day jobs and families. That we had been retired from music for 10 to 18 years, and now we only play a couple times a month. We are serious about what we do, and have more work than we can handle honestly. We get paid pretty good for a cover band but in the end we do it for the love of playing and gigging. We have a blast and make a little money doing it.
    He replies to me that its bands like ours that are ruining it for everyone else. That we don't play music as a main income, and we are just taking away work from bands that need the money. They play for a living.
    The crazy thing is that our pianist went on vacation this summer, went to the town's music store and started noodling on a keyboard. Of course the convo starts about if he plays out, so he tells our story. That he sells farm supplies, and the band is more a hobby. We play out a few times a month because we like it. The store owner goes on the very same rant. Guys like us are scum just putting guys like him out of work as he gigs for income because the store doesn't do that well.
    Its been somewhat of a revelation that people see me like that. Is this what most other musicians think? We don't play for free, or even cheap. I feel I'm as much a musician as anyone else and am quite passionate about it. But in the end music is not my carear its just a hobby I love. I want the experience of playing for an audience and being in demand. I really don't feel I need to apologize for that.
  2. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

I don't talk to people anymore, once they say stuff like that to me.
  3. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a minute. I would laugh in their face and tell them they are stupid. Of course I'm an ******* so there ya go.

Cheers!

MJW
  4. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Yeah, I'm sure the two or three jobs a month your band plays are keeping dozens of "professional" musicians from earning a decent living.
  5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    So what they're saying is their "professional" bands can't compete with your "hobby" band?
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

If there were two piles of money:

1) the money music stores make selling stuff to pros, and

2) the money they make selling stuff to non-pros,

I know which pile I'd want.
  7. Keithy

Keithy

I come across this a lot. I am a carpenter/site manager during the week and used to play bass in a band doing the club circuit in the uk.

I eventually learned to walk away from these people as theyre ignorant and don't realise that they're losing out on work because of their own failings not because im a part time performer.

The next time it happens why not invite them to your gig to see what they need to do to get gigs;-) its not all about skill:thumbup:
  8. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

That sentence is universal.

OP, anyone who calls you a scumbag for being a musician who plays in a band is, himself, a scumbag.

Maybe mister scumbag could actually make money if his band was as great as yours ;)
  9. Les Gonzalez

Les Gonzalez

This is common among performers in the cover bar band scene. The main emotions being jealousy, fear, insecurity, and anxiety over not getting the level of money or recognition they feel that they deserve. The arguement always boils down to playing for money vs playing for fun. You can have it one of three ways, money, fun, or both. The word for those types of complainers would be "Haters". Ignore them.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Maybe if you didn't pitch the "I'm a g.d. sucessful semi-pro, we turn down gigs left and right" angle it wouldn't get their backs up. No pro ever took a swipe at my weekend warrior status, that would be plain rude.
  11. bwardmusic

bwardmusic

I've heard this before too.

People who say that are not facing reality. The truth is, bands are like a lot of cottage industries -- photography, art, jewellery-making, event planning -- you can do them out of your home with a minimum amount of investment. Therefore, there are a lot of players entering the local industry, giving it a try, failing, or sometimes, even playing for free and bringing down prices.

Guys who whine about competition from hobby bands need to face the reality of this business. Hobby bands WILL exist, and therefore, you have to distinguish yourself from them through some means -- such as your ability to promote, the quality of original music, or some other competitive advantage.

I would quote to these guys "The truth will set you free, but first it will tick you off".

The whiners need to get over it and then figure out how to beat the competition, whether hobby or not.

Let me ask, did any of these whining comments discourage you from playing in your hobby band? Probably not. So, the people who disagree with hobby bands need to rise from the dust and be men (and strong women).
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I haven't gotten that ration but if I did, I'd just say something like, "You must not be that good if you can't compete successfully with us weekend warriors."
  13. Major Softie

Major Softie

Nobody likes competition that they think impacts their income. Welcome to the real world (not you, but him).

As far as the owner of the music store, his lack of income from the store is not due to too many musicians (musicians who buy his products: duh), it is due to the fact that he is an ignorant ass who treats potential customers the way he treated your keyboard player. It's a miracle he's still in business.
  14. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Wow, I have never considered that viewpoint, much less heard it from someone. Reading your post, OP, it blew me away. If someone had said that to me up till now, I would be so shocked, I wouldn't have been able to react.
  15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Real pros should have no problem competing with hobby players - if they do then they have some problems with their skills, their marketing or both. Maybe they should in that case consider a new carreer, because the hobby bands are not going away. It's the same in other creative arts like photography; real pros don't even consider what hobby photographers do because they are busy working.

If you, the "pro", don't have the skills, the visibility and the networking it's not the fault of the hobbyists, it's you. If you can't hack it, get out, there are lots of hungry newcomers that will take your place if your offering doesn't stand out enough to make people pay for it. Tough, but that's the reality.

On top of that, I bet all those who whine about hobby players taking their jobs once themselves played for free or little money. Double standards are pathetic.
  16. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I have heard similar statements from other "pro" band members when I was playing in a "part-time hobby" band. My reply was that we enjoy performing with each other and for others. Maybe that's why we got the gigs we had.
  17. glocke1

glocke1

Playing devils advocate, I can understand his argument, but it is pretty weak and he is just pissed that that he has competition..
  18. delta7fred

delta7fred

So let me get this straight, according to some of those who depend upon playing for their income (I hesitate to call them pros) you are supposed to open your bedroom door one day and announce that you are going pro without ever playing publicly because it would affect their potential income.

:rollno:
  19. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Wait so a music store owner gives a musician hell for being a hobbyist? Who does he think his main clientèle is???

I love it when people talk out their arse, and don't realize what's that smell ...
  20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The store owner is likely a wanted-to-be musician who never made it and needs someone else to blame. That attitude will probably also ruin his chances of becoming a successful business owner - the next thing to blame is the online stores that shouldn't exist because they steal his sales.