Hofner 500/1 CT Violin Bass Finish cracks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul_, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Paul_

Paul_

Im a fairly new to these forums and i would like to ask about this Hofner that i bought with 2 slightly unnoticeable finish cracks and 1 massive crack down half the body of the guitar and how I should go about fixing these

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I really don't think there's anything you can do to fix that other than a complete refinish, though someone more knowledgable than me might have a better answer.
  3. Paul_

Paul_

I have done some looking around and found a few sites that refurbish guitars but I love the color sunburst in came in and all it really needs is a $300 Clear Coat finish but that price is out of the question
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Contact one of our resident Hofner experts TB'er Peacefrog
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcarp555

mcarp555

Finish cracks are very common in Hofners, esp. as they age. It's part of their mojo. About all you can do to slow them down is be careful about letting them warm up in their case if you bring them inside from a cold environment (like the back of your car overnight). The sudden temperature change can accelerate finish crazing.
  7. Paul_

Paul_

I would love to but I dont want to break the bank on something like a Hofner CT
  8. Paul_

Paul_

But can you get them refurbished i mean all it needs is a new clear coat there is not damage to the paint.
    Plus the cracks were probably caused by them drilling the screws in the control panel too far but the body crack is crazy
  9. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo

Disclosures:
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    These are finish checks. Theres nothing you could do to repai them. But heres how you got them... Change in temperature.. Going from a warm house, to the cold outside, back in a warm car.. Did you ride with this in your trunk? Were you in the A/C and opened up outside? Hofs are very sesseptible to this as they are full hollow and thin topped...
  10. Paul_

Paul_

It was shipped by UPS so if anything UPS is to blame. I never ride with my bass in the trunk either I keep them next to me. The shipping took 3-4 days so that's probably the reason for the big body crack. Other than that before it was shipped it had the 2 control panel cracks so i was a bit shocked when i saw the huge body crack.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Ditto, shock due to quick environmental changes.

On the bright side, it's started the relic process. ;)
  12. Paul_

Paul_

true though its a Contemp series it doesn't have the same classic feel
  13. GM60466

GM60466

leave it alone
  14. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

No classic feel you say? My CT has as much a classic feel as my vintage Hofner does....IMO anyway. :bassist:
  15. Troels Schmidt

Troels Schmidt

Mine too... basicly because these excellent instruments are build in Hofners own German factory in Bejing using all the same moulds and jigs and presses - and processes - as used in Hagenau in Germany.

Even the Chinese employees are trained in Germany.

So there's no difference except the poly finish and the price. The Chinese build Hofner 500/1 CT should not be mixed up with the Hofner Icons/Ignition VB made under license in Asian factories - for instance in the Philipines. These are lot lesser quality ;)
  16. jimtone

jimtone

That bas is a CT from China which has a poly finish, so this isn't something that should be checking with age. These have only been produced since 2005 or very close to that and only use poly finish with no lacquer, so I'm not understanding how or why your bass has finish checking like we see. It can't be fixed like lacquer can be refloated or french polishes to refloat the finish and desolve the checks. I'd guess your bass had some problem with moisture at the build, but it would have to be stripped to repair it and if you strip it, I'd refinish it in a thin coat of lacquer.
  17. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Very gray area here, but just as an FYI, I have a newer Fender '75 Jazz reissue with a poly finish and it has cracks like that too. Also, a poly finished Ovation roundback acoustic electric bass tat has those cracks too.
  18. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

I agree( as usual) with Fran. I've seen cracks like this in other poly finish guitars. There are other variables you have to consider when asking about cracks, age, temperature, moisture. I personally wouldn't worry.

While on the subject. I stopped into Sam Ash again today and they had a CT bass hanging and the finish on it was so pretty, it was applied nice and thin and you could see "ripples' in the clear from the spruce just like the German ones. If I hadn't known better, I'd say it was nitro, but it was a very thin coat of poly. You could tell there is more opportunity for the wood to move and breath underneath. I remember thinking to myself, this thing will surely check as it ages. It was almost indistinguishable from a V64. The color was perfect, better than a lot of reissues I've seen. Hofner has definitely been listening to what the fans want IMO.
  19. Troels Schmidt

Troels Schmidt

Poly finish is mixed from a base of polyesther resin and a hardener added. Sometimes too much hardener is mixed into the resin which can cause an over curing turning the poly finish into a glasslike surface very prone to check. Also the thickness of the finish may play a role. Finish cracks can appear in all directions on the surface - not necessesarily parallel to the grains. The finish checking in poly is very different from the checking and craze in nitro - also called weathering - which is unavoidable in nitro finish as time goes by.
  20. Paul_

Paul_

Well after some floating around on the internet i also noticed the floating neck piece is alot more open then the originals and other CT's. Is this just the model or how they usually make it?
  21. Paul_

Paul_