1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hofner Clicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by footprints89, May 25, 2012.

1. footprints89

footprints89

I have a Hofner Icon, and I've been dealing with a pretty crippling issue. When I play it I get a terrible/piercing clank sound. I believe it is the strings hitting the pickup. My bandmates have been complaining how much it hurts to hear it in their in-ear monitors.
    I know it isn't as bad with a pick, but to only use a pick is unheard of. Also, I thought about raising the action, but it's already perfect (no buzz). Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

2. NightTripper

NightTripper

I've unfortunately never tried a Hofner, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but could you lower the pickups?

One time the pickup on my Affinity P came up, and I just had to retighten the screws.

3. rfslick

rfslick

When you hold a string on the last fret, how much clearance is there between the string and the neck pickup?

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Maybe you're playing too hard? Try a lighter touch when playing and see if that helps.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rfslick

rfslick

On this bass, you must back the screws out to lower the pickup. Be careful to not go too far as the screw will back out of the pickup bracket and you will be fishing the springs out of the body. I lowered mine til the neck pickup is just above the top of the pickup surround because the pickups are just too hot. Make sure you have at least 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch clearance to the string.

7. footprints89

footprints89

I'm not sure about the string and pickup distance (not touching the pickup though). My friend mentioned lowering the pickups. I'm gonna take it to a local shop and see. I've tried playing it lighter (I still get it at times), but when I get into it it's easy to lose that. Thanks for all the input guys!

8. Salamenster

Salamenster

It's not that you're smacking the strings on the rythm when you're playing is it?

9. footprints89

footprints89

I typically play on rhythm. What would that do compared to lead?

10. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

A Hofner is a very different animal from other basses, even from other short scale basses such as a Gibson SG. It requires a very light touch, and usually responds in a rather unpleasant way if it's overhandled. I ususlly play my other basses (Fender P's Jazz, Rick, Gibsons, etc. )...fingerstyle, but use a pick almost exclusively on my Hofner. Even with a pick you still get that thumpy tone. Playing it with fingers, an extremely light touch is necessary, and if you get carried away and get into a P-bass mode, for instance, you and the Hofner will not get along well.

As others have stated, try lowering the pickups a bit, to lose the click. But keep in mind that "easy does it" seems to work best on Hofners...

11. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

This may sound kind of foolish, but I have learned NOT to play my Hofner after playing some of my other basses, Reason being is as stated above, It requires very little aggression and finger action to get tremendous sound especially after I put the LaBella's on..

12. louloomis

louloomis

I don't know the model you're talking about but I have a Hofner Beatle Bass (original - 60's vintage) and it makes the sound you are talking about all the time (if I'm understanding you). I agree with the pickup height comments and light touch comments. I don't have a light touch and I almost never play the bass anyway, so I don't plan on changing the way it's set up. It's just a very delicate instrument that's not meant to be played very hard.

Just looked up "Icon" - looks like a Beatle bass to me. So, I'm assuming your issues are the same as mine.

LL

13. ficalini

ficalini

*Please correct me if I'm wrong*

My Icon has the same issue with the bridge PU. When I restring it next week I'm going to unsrcew the PU and flip it around so that the "staples" are facing the bridge. From what I can tell the strings will not be able to touch the pole pieces anymore after that.

14. bill reed

bill reed

do you still get the clang when you play with the solo switched off. and have you tried playing with only one pick-up switched on to see if it just the one pickup giving you a problem.
    my pickup are 1/8 of a inch below the strings thay are on the high side.
    Like rfslick said, betweem 1/8 and 3/16 would be about right.