Hofner Contemporary Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbassdude, Feb 6, 2010.

1. newbassdude

newbassdude

I currently have a Hofner Icon and I really love it, but i was looking to *maybe* investing in a Contemporary. I was doing a little bit of research, and i noticed a a few conflicting photos.

some pictures i find, the bass has a white trim along the neck to match the bass its modeled after, while other pictures (mostly the ones on voxshowroom.com) do not. My best guess right now is that the pictures on voxshowroom.com are just older pictures, but im not an expert :bag:

White Trim:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No white Trim:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am i missing some crucial detail or something? lol
    any help or appreciated :)
  2. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

Sorry can't help ya but I really like the icon with the white neck binding. On a side note how do you like your icon? I've always wanted to buy a hofner beatle bass and for it to hopefully become my everyday bass. Is there a particular tone that hollow body basses produce? Thanks man.
  3. newbassdude

newbassdude

I love my Icon. Put some flatwound strings on it, and you get a really nice, full warm sound. play with a pick and turn up the high settings on your amp and you can get a nice treble punch out of it, too

anyway, lets not stray, back to my original question hehe :hyper:
  4. jblock

jblock

Yes, the photos on the voxshowroom site are of a prototype I think. The Contemporary does have binding on the neck. Their comparisons are slightly wrong as well. The Contemporary has the white/black/white nut, and the bridge and the control panel similar to the German built Hofners, although I'm not sure if these are actually German parts.

It's a great bass.
  5. newbassdude

newbassdude

thanks, that answers my question :D

happy playing everyone! :bassist: