Hofner help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JorgeAGR, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JorgeAGR

JorgeAGR

Got lucky enough to get my hands on a used Hofner bass (I think it's a Vintage 64? Could use some help here.) I'm new to the bass world, as I'm actually a guitar player, but a friend of an uncle of mine owed him some money, so hey payed him with the bass.

After some crazy traveling, I finally got it, and though I'm really happy of getting a Hofner bass, there are some things that disappointed me.

It's painted. Awfully. The cover, the head and the neck are completely black (Not to mention the name), ruining the beauty of it. He even painted the control panel! Is there any way of getting the original color back? The pickguard is sadly gone as well, can they be obtained separately?

Any tips for a begging bass player are also appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass JorgeAGR.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/ is as good a place to start as any.

It would help tremendously to know exactly what type of paint was used in that "re-fin", in order to avoid ruining what ever (if any) finish remains under the paint.

Regards
    Sam
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

The pickups are Hofner's type 513B which were introduced in late 1967. The control panel and Hofner headstock logo along with short tailpiece and the flat heel of the neck at the body joint would indicate the bass is post 68. Can't really tell by the poor quality of the photos but I'd guess it was made in the mid 70's.

TD
  4. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

For some reason, I can't see your pics at all, but if you feel the need to have the neck put back to its sunburst glory, Pat Wilkins of Wilkins guitars will make it looks like it originally did. He is THE man to refinish a Hofner. If you only need the neck done, he will quote you a price for it and he is very fair.