1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hofner Icon/Ignition Violin - removed pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Jan 5, 2013.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Any Hofner Icon/Ignition violin users removed their pick guards? Thinking of getting one but the 1st thing i'll do is remove the pickguard (think violin basses look so much classier without them IMO).

What i notice looking at pictures of the icons is that it looks like the pickguard is screwed into the body in a couple of places. Are you left with 2 or 3 screw holes? If so what have you done with them? fill them etc? Its not a big deal but i'd like to know before i part with my $$'s
  2. bill reed

bill reed

you would be left with three holes! two on top and one on the underside. don't think it would be hard to fill and hide.
  3. Staredge

Staredge

On mine, the two screws near the pickups are into the plastic ring around the pup. The only body hole is the one in the bout where the bracket screws in. Not really noticable unless you're looking. I took it off and then decided I liked it better attached.
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I like it better attached also but I would just use the screws to fill the holes
  5. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

That don't sound too bad...is this the same on all Icons or do they vary where they're screwed in?

BTW, i've heard some people get a buzz or rattle from the PG when playing. That your experience?
  6. bill reed

bill reed

never has any buzz or rattle if you do you could always put a bit foam under it.
  7. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I took my pick guard off because of the rattle. Actually it was coming from a loose nut. There is a nut holding the center screw to the bracket that attaches to the bottom. But I removed it anyway just to see if I liked it. You can see the holes but its not really bad but what I did get was a dimple in the finish under the pick guard where the center screw dug in a little bit.

I'm not sure if its staying off.
  8. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

I removed my pickguard. I have the all black Icon. I cut off toothpicks and inserted them into the holes, no glue, just pressed in. I hit them with a black sharpie on the ends. It passes the 3' test which is good enough for me.
  9. RonChase

RonChase

I own 3 Icons brown burst,black cherry and transparent green,all of them had medal tuning pegs replace the plastic,I used those medal knurled knobs and yes all 3 had pickguards removed,I traded a Fender jazz for the brown Hof,I had to go out and get a P-bass,I always have to have a Fender but the Hofs are my players,I am going to modify the brown one with everything I can buy for it,I bought it because the other 2 were starting to relic,I dont mind them relic'ing I just dont want to fast track the process,I also own a LTD Les Paul and a Dillion Rickenbacker(Iowned a real Ric and this is just as good)I have 6 bass's and a 7th for leaving in the car on hot or cold days or jams or rough gigs but the Hofners work for me,take off the guard,just save it,Oh my wife has the pink Icon #7 of only 40 and she said leave the guard on.I also own a german 1958 Hofner archtop which is as old as me
  10. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Did you do anything to cover holes or just leave them holey?
  11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I had an Ignition Club Bass for a while. I took the pickguard off, and left the holes as they were. You can barely see them.
  12. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

I put the screws back on my Black Cherry icon.