1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Hofner Icon: Made in China or Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vanscoy, Sep 9, 2009.

1. vanscoy

vanscoy

I have read on here that the Hofner Icons are made in China. The North Coast Music site also states this. I received mine yesterday from MF and it has a made in Indonesia sticker on it. Is this new or are they made in multiple locations?

2. GM60466

GM60466

Early models were made in china. Mine is actually stamped "China" inside the body caviety.

3. electracoyote

electracoyote

I own three (white, emerald, burst) all purchased within the past two years, all made in China. They must have moved to the new factory.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Both my Pink Icon and my Contemporary are MIC (Made in China). As ECoyote said, they probably moved to a new factory recently.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vanscoy

vanscoy

I wonder if there is any upgrade in the Quality Control. Mine seemed pretty good fit and finish-wise. The neck was straight as an arrow and the fret work was fine. Even the pickguard, which seems to peel on a lot of people's basses, was 100%. The only issue I had was that the top of the tailpiece was canted at about a 10 degree angle from the E side to the G side. It is noticable when put up against the horizonal line of the bridge but it is drilled on the center on the bottom, so I guess it is made in error and not just bent. I don't THINK it will mess up the intonation too badly. I am waiting for my Labella Beatle Bass flats to arrive before I make a final determination to send it back or not.

7. electracoyote

electracoyote

I glad to hear they maintained the same quality control standards. My China-made Icons also have excellent fit and finish. I have seen that canting of the trap assembly on a couple, but none of mine have it. As long as your bridge is adjusted correctly, it shouldn't influence intonation. Aesthetically, it's pretty hard to notice.

This didn't used to be the case, but more and more I'm seeing the same high standards and QC coming from China and Indonesia, and that's a good thing for those of us looking for affordable players.

8. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

I have 2 HCT Contemporary models. One in traditional Sunburst and one in Black. Both are made in China and are very good quality. They were both really good out of the box, but once I got them set up? They sounded fantastic.

9. vanscoy

vanscoy

What is the purpose of that little bit of foam underneath the floating bridge? Is it to protect the finish? Keep the bridge from sliding? Can I chuck it?

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yes, chuck it. It's to temporarily protect the top from being marred by the bridge.

11. odysseios

odysseios

12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    The Ignition Club bass I just bought is made in Indonesia. The fit and finish seems a little nicer than the Chinese made Icon Violin bass I used to have. But that could be attributed to normal variation between these basses and not really a result the factory they were made in.

13. rfslick

rfslick

Does anyone actually have proof that there are two factories involved, or is it really like the Icon/Ignition name issue?

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

What kind of proof do you want? I will tell you that there were two factories involved with the Icon/Ignition. The China one which made the Icon and the factory in Indonesia which currently makes the Ignition. Here's a bit of the story for you. The General Manager who ran the factory in China that made the Icon, had established a very good business relationship with Hofner Germany. He decided to open his own factory in Indonesia and convinced Hofner to give him the Icon Series business. But they needed to change the Icon name for legal reasons, hence the new name Ignition. FYI, the Contemporary Series are made at a completely different factory in China.

TD

15. rfslick

rfslick

Very interesting. Is there more to be read about that anywhere?
    RF

16. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

Mine doesn't say Ignition, or Icon, but it does have a sticker that reads Made in Indonesia. And Hi-Series, B-Bass...on the truss rod cover.

17. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

No. It's considered inside information. I was told this by one of the Hofner dealers who is very close to Hofner's upper management.

TD

18. rfslick

rfslick

Any idea about when production began in Indonesia?

19. dexfx69

dexfx69

My Club Bass is from Indonesia as well, 2011 production. Superb fit and finish, at any cost. I find current/recent Indonesian production instruments are of high quality.

20. wilfredes

wilfredes

What is the purpose of that little bit of foam underneath the floating bridge?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. bill reed

bill reed

its just packing to protect the bass body in transit. it should be removed! i know its a pain to do as you have to undo the strings but you get a much better tone afterword.

My LE. MARQUIS. N.Y. is said to be made in the same Indonesia plant as the Hofner Icon/Ignition, the hardware is diffrent on my bass and is from Korea.

Attached Files: